Anyone have Alternator bearings go out before?

So I have had my alt up and running for awhile now. ( just stock rebuilt ) All of the sudden I have been getting a squealing noise from the pulley. I'm like 99% sure its the pulley and not the belt. I have tried to adjust the tension of the belt both ways and no change. Anyone have a bearing go bad? Does this sound like a symptom of a bad bearing? Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks

I guess this could of went in the alternator section? :shrug:

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

LOL @ All of 'the' sudden

Take the belt off, grab the alt pulley to check for play in it. Either in and out or laterally.

Yeah I worded that one wrong, ya know what I mean lol... I took it off and just got done putting it back on. I spin it by hand and hear very little noise and it spins smooth. It should have no play correct if I pull on the pulley in and out from the shaft? Maybe I can take the pulley off and put it back on. I think I need a impact wrench to get the pulley off.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

LOL @ All of 'the' sudden

Take the belt off, grab the alt pulley to check for play in it. Either in and out or laterally.

Like Orion said, try to make it move in every direction. In and out as well as up and down. It should't move at all other than spinning on the bearings.

To answer your original question: Yes. I had an alt eat the front bearings out once- so badly that it threw the serpentine belt, and wouldn't keep one on just to limp it to a parts store. I just replaced the 3rd (yes 3rd) Auto Zone Duralast (read "lifetime warranty") alternator in my work truck mule. This one was still *working* and charging, but sounded awful. I couldn't really tell that it was the bearings until I removed it from the truck and checked it. There was a bit of a squeak from the front bearing, but the back bearing was loose from the shaft. It didn't seem that bad either- just the tiniest little "clunk, clunk" when you would apply lateral pressure (as Orion said) to the pulley. Put in a new alt (the 4th lifetime warranty) and quiet as a kitten.

If you can feel any slack- odds are you have a bearing or shaft problem.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived