Sundown Audio

subsonic filter

TG717

Lets say I wanted to set my ssf at 29 (box tuned to 33.75)

Could i simply play a 29hz tone and turn the ssf knob untill i can no longer hear it?or does it not work that way...

you can do it that way but you need to consider the slope that your ssf has. if you have a steep slope filter like say 24db or 18db than you'll more than fine.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Lets say I wanted to set my ssf at 29 (box tuned to 33.75)

Could i simply play a 29hz tone and turn the ssf knob untill i can no longer hear it?or does it not work that way...

no, if you do it that way your ssf will be at like 50hz or something. Unhook your subs, use a volt meter on A/C volts. play 28hz tone ans adjust the ssf until you see a very slight drop in voltage. That will get you close. It wont be perfect though.

I've gone by playing the desired subsonic filter frequency and dialing up the SSF until the AC voltage reads half of the power you have the amplifier set to produce.

For example, say the amplifier is rated to produce 2K RMS@1 ohm and you are running it at such and you used a DD1 to set the gain. No one on here can say just what the amplifier is going to actually produce, so you'd play a test tone and measure the voltage. Play a 50Hz test tone with all EQ's set to flat and measure the output. Lets say you get a reading of 45.09, which would equate to roughly 2033RMS@1 ohm. You would want the output at 29Hz to be half that, so 1k, which equates to 31.62VAC.

As said by another member, there are other factors such as the slope of the SSF, 12dB, 18dB, and 24dB have all been commonly used.

Archived