rsfm089 Posted July 13, 2014 Report Posted July 13, 2014 I was looking at the deh-pr80. Awesome but I don't think I need that much control and the price is out of my range. Not trying to go sq more into daily driver/SPL. I don't want to start a verse thread. Just need some ideas on what I can get that is a down graded versions of the deh80 in the 200 dollar range.
Taylor Campbell Posted July 13, 2014 Report Posted July 13, 2014 I highly suggest looking at the Kenwood Excelon series. It has a 24 bit DAC, 6 4volts preamps (Highpass on front and rear, low pass for sub) Bluetooth, ETC. The preamps give undistorted output at max volume and the built in amplifier is fairly decent at 22 RMS watts. Crutchfield has the Excelon 597 for $129.99. Its a great sounding unit.
philrab Posted July 14, 2014 Report Posted July 14, 2014 Also rec Kenwood Excelon. My X997 is tits, but out of your price range. 597 or little higher would probably suit your purposes. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
TheMonolith2001 Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 Kenwoods are nice, Alpines are nice, You could always get a cheaper Pioneer. I have even had good luck with JVC but they do have some stinkers. You get a lot for 129.99 in the 597 though. I might get that one for my wife. I think she wants time alignment though. It really makes a huge difference. Maybe look for a cheaper unit that offers this?
philrab Posted July 16, 2014 Report Posted July 16, 2014 Kenwoods are nice, Alpines are nice, You could always get a cheaper Pioneer. I have even had good luck with JVC but they do have some stinkers. You get a lot for 129.99 in the 597 though. I might get that one for my wife. I think she wants time alignment though. It really makes a huge difference. Maybe look for a cheaper unit that offers this? Time alignment makes a difference. How much, and enough to justify the price, those are the questions. If you have a discerning ear (or your wife more like) she'll appreciate it. The average person doesn't and can't tell the difference. In my Miata, with factory headrest speakers for rear stage, the time alignment made a Hell of a difference (matched up the timing from door speakers over two feet from your ears and headrest speakers right behind them). In my 3, the difference is there but less pronounced. At the price point you're looking at, I think the most important thing is a quality unit that puts out clean, undistorted power, has the integration features you need (iPod, bluetooth, ect.), and a decent enough eq/sound processing package to get the sound how you want it (even a basic 3-5 band eq can make a lot of difference.) 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.