Sonic Electronix

High Pass filter or Full range?

I don't know where else to ask this so I put it in General. For my speakers they are all around Polk Audio DB's(I think). The front are component and the rear are coaxial. This car was my dads and he installed all of this stuff himself so I have no real knowledge of whats behind the panels and doors. Anyways, for a while now I've been annoyed that I wasn't getting much bass from the front door speakers. I like to crank the deck up to max volume on some songs and yet i never really got the sense that there was bass coming out of the 6.5in woofers in the doors. Today I went to the amp and turned the HPF off onto full range and messed with the x-over and gain a bit so there was finally bass in the doors, and quite a lot of it for the levels not being turned up really. My dad tells me now that I shouldn't turn it up loud because of that and with all these videos I see of people turning the volume way up with the mid woofers doing a lot of work, I question whether or not it really will hurt it if I keep turning the volume up. Which is why I came here. I'm assuming the speakers in the front are something along the line of these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9109_Polk-Audio-db6501.html because they are cheaper and I'm sure that mine are definitely polk and definitely components. He bought them 4 years ago. I don't know what brand the amp is but he told me its 75w RMS x 4. Here is a picture of the amp, out of box (sorry). And I know there is two sets of coaxial, because there originally was two sets in the car, but 3 of them blew so he bought a set of components to replace the from and just left the one other blown one in the back panel (it still works, just the tweeter blew) http://gyazo.com/c8bd0944b05aca178cbfe7ca87a2449b

HPF filters out low frequencies while full range allows any and all frequencies to pass through whatever speakers that are connected to the amp. Turning the volume up without knowing what your HU distorts at is not a good idea. Hence probably why the old speakers blew and not setting your gains right might also be the reason.

Don't expect a 6.5 mid-range drivers in a door without any acoustic treatment to reproduce good bass.

Not to mention, a typical 6.5 comp set is designed to run with a hpf. If you want more bass in the front, either look into actual mid-bass drivers or fix the doors.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wp8D87uvktw/p_130P800BT/Pioneer-Premier-FH-P800BT.html This is my deck. As far as I can tell there is no distortion at near max level (50-60 out of 62)

I'm just asking if my speakers will blow because I turned the hpf off, I'm not asking them to create more bass than they are now, I already got them to do that. If its likely they the speakers will go I can deal with just keeping the volume down a bit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wp8D87uvktw/p_130P800BT/Pioneer-Premier-FH-P800BT.html This is my deck. As far as I can tell there is no distortion at near max level (50-60 out of 62)

How can you tell? O-scope? DD1? Ear? If the latter and not one of the former, you're guessing. Probably a safe guess if you're talking about the Preouts on a Pioneer or Kenwood deck, but still a guess.

Personally, I'd run the HPF. Turn it down a bit if you want, but no 6.5" is going to be happy reproducing very low notes for very long regardless of volume. It's like pulling a heavy load with an engine/truck not rated to tow a heavy load. It'll do it to the end of the block sure, probably even across town. Sooner or later, you're going to push your luck too far.

At some point, you need to find out what speakers you have, and what the specs on them are. Whatever their recommended freq range is, I definitely wouldn't push them lower than that, and to be honest I still wouldn't take them to the bottom of the range.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived