High Output liquid cooled alternator???

Why not add a second alternator?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Why not add a second alternator?

I am not sure how the car would like having two alternators. I guess the second alt would have to be isolated from the rest of the vehicles electrical system since there is a plug going from the stock alt to the main wiring harness. I'd need to research it but still would rather have just 1 stronger alternator if possible.

What if I upgraded my battery to AGM and added a second AGM battery?

T2500-bdCP

PPI P900.4

And these two batteries,

http://www.remybattery.com/Intimidator-9A95R-Group-Size-95R-AGM-Battery-P9242.aspx

http://www.remybattery.com/Intimidator-9A48-Group-Size-48-AGM-Battery--P4550.aspx

180A alternator enough for music?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Why would the car care if there's more than one alt? Tons of people do installs with 3+.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

Guess it's just because I've never done it myself before, and I know how electrically sensitive these cars are. How does it work? I mean, would I need to tap into the com port off the voltage regulator from the stock alt and split it off to a second alt and they just load balance off each other depending on electrical load? Or could the second alt be the self-excite type with a second run of 0AWG to the batteries in the back?

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

can do it either way but then your second alt runs full output all the time and will wear out faster. On the plus side your stock alt will run very small load and last forever..

Hammerdown... 1%

Alright, I clearly need to read up on the different ways to wire up a second alt. Thanks for the heads up about the second running at full output.

I heard back from Singer, cool guy I feel that I'd be happy to give him my money from talking with him, but unfortunately there are no upgrades available for my stock alt but at least he got back to me. Still waiting to hear back from the other guys but I suspect the same since the stator is pressed in and uses the external case as a "water block" so to speak.

I'm leaning towards upgrading to a 180A stock water cooled unit from an E65 and then adding a second 150-200A alt later on.

~Henry David Thoreau

Just be careful about running higher RPM's. I dont know why but i've not had any luck with custom alternators holding together above 5500rpm. My singer unit blew up twice, mike replaced the rotor once and the second time I just had a local shop fix it.. but I havent put it back in since the second time either yet. The shop also put together a custom unit for me to test at higher RPM's since they were interested in what was happening and I blew that one up a couple times for them as well :)]

The stock pulley does help (took 7500rpm to knock out with large pulley) but you lose the low RPM output..

Hammerdown... 1%

Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind. I tend to drive it like I stole it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Archived