Arnold55 Posted August 13, 2014 Report Posted August 13, 2014 What's up guys, going to be getting an enclosure made soon for 2 sa12s. I'm stuck between getting a traditional ported box made or a 4th made. The guy building it for me has made many 4ths with great outcome as well as ported ones. Have you guys had any luck with sa12s in a 4th? Subs will be getting around 1000-1250 rms. From what I understand a 4th can have great out put on a wider range of notes? A traditional can sometimes have greater output on a smaller range of notes? I have been reading up a lot and wondering what you guys recommend for my situation. I've also read that 4ths are efficient for subs that have trouble getting the low end? I don't listen to all my music cranked up but when I do I would like for it to get loud. I usually have it turned up when I'm listing to either hip-hop rap or slowed music such as decaf. Should I Stick to a traditional or try out the 4th?
Phoenixman Posted August 13, 2014 Report Posted August 13, 2014 I've had a lot of experience with traditional ported enclosures and givin what you tune the box too and if it's correctly made will always perform well. But there are those situations where the 4th will be better. They both have there pros and cons, if you like how 4ths perform use one of those, if you like traditional ported get that one. It's always good to try something new, you learn from your mistakes
thefourth Posted August 13, 2014 Report Posted August 13, 2014 Regular ported Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do thatI can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream. oh lawd.
Arnold55 Posted August 13, 2014 Author Report Posted August 13, 2014 I've heard my share of regular ported boxes that have been built/ tuned well and know they get down. Just curious what the pros and cons would be in my situation.
CleanSierra Posted August 13, 2014 Report Posted August 13, 2014 A "traditional ported" box is a 4th order. I believe what you're referring to when you say 4th order, is a 4th order bandpass. Just trying to get you the proper terminology. More and more people aren't learning these terms properly anymore The order refers to the rolloff of response(slope). Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Arnold55 Posted August 13, 2014 Author Report Posted August 13, 2014 yea I meant bandpass, at work so I'm typing this up fast my fault.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.