dawgs007 Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 Now that I have experienced this communities' expertise and knowledge a little, I am filled with questions. One of which is... does anyone have a general idea of when Kenwood Excelon HU's (KDC-X397 specifically) begin to clip and distort? I hesitate turning it up past ~20 volume. I know it goes higher, but I am scared it will damage it. I am mostly afraid that it will fry the outputs or the HU altogether. Can anyone shed some light and enlighten me? Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical) -Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397 -Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door -Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D -2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2 Backups: -12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box -Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D
dolarbilz Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 If turn past 20 your deck will melt full of so much power lol jk Hope you get right answer
dawgs007 Posted August 15, 2014 Author Report Posted August 15, 2014 If turn past 20 your deck will melt full of so much power lol jk Hope you get right answer That brings up that I don't have an amp on the HU either. It's all stock till it gets to the speakers. Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical) -Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397 -Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door -Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D -2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2 Backups: -12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box -Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 Both my Kenwood Excelons go to 35. Not sure on the head unit amp, but if not mistaken- the RCAs play clean all the way up to 34? (all settings set to flat) I just put my second Kenwood in my work mule and am powering the speakers with the HU's buit in amp. I suppose it depends on the speakers you are running and the crossover frequencies and so on, but I can tell you- that HU has some power. I have 6.5 JL audios in the doors and they do alright (want more power) and play clean but not wicked loud. I fiberglassed dash pods and put 2 3" Tang-Band speakers (8 ohms each, wired to 4 ohms per channel) on each side- those freaking HURT. On squat for real power too... I turned it up to 32 / 35 today and it played clean off of the deck. I didn't go past 32 though- I couldn't stand it. lolz 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
dawgs007 Posted August 15, 2014 Author Report Posted August 15, 2014 Both my Kenwood Excelons go to 35. Not sure on the head unit amp, but if not mistaken- the RCAs play clean all the way up to 34? (all settings set to flat) I just put my second Kenwood in my work mule and am powering the speakers with the HU's buit in amp. I suppose it depends on the speakers you are running and the crossover frequencies and so on, but I can tell you- that HU has some power. I have 6.5 JL audios in the doors and they do alright (want more power) and play clean but not wicked loud. I fiberglassed dash pods and put 2 3" Tang-Band speakers (8 ohms each, wired to 4 ohms per channel) on each side- those freaking HURT. On squat for real power too... I turned it up to 32 / 35 today and it played clean off of the deck. I didn't go past 32 though- I couldn't stand it. lolz Are you ever afraid it will overheat though? Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical) -Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397 -Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door -Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D -2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2 Backups: -12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box -Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D
Colin - STAPUFT Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 Eh... only if you crank it for long periods of time maybe. My drive today was 6 hours- 3 hours each way. On the way home it was 3 non-stop hours of the HU on- sometimes up loud for a minute or two, but the rest of the time at about 20 out of 35. (it doesn't get over the road noise until about 15, gets ok at 20, gets loud at 25, and goes hog wild at 30+). But no problems after a 3 hour drive- and I don't have A/C, so it was warm in the cab. 12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro Build & Comment Log Un-Interrupted Build LogYouTube Channel Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.
philrab Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 Every HU is different, but my X997 is clean up to. 25/35 on deck power 34/35 on RCA's That said, two decks of the same model can still vary. Best bet would be to find someone close to you with a DD-1. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.