Second Skin Audio

How can this design be improved upon??

Ritch40

okay, heres what i came up with

net volume is 6.497 or 3.248 per sub. i do still need to factor in some bracing though. ideally i do think i will have to add the "L" back into the design simply to add a little extra volume.

port is 19.5" by 7" and a grand total of 25" long.

also posted a couple of screen shots on how i did port math just in case i screwed that up.

idea23_zps74344cb2.jpgidea24_zps61002084.jpg

idea2_zpsaaf430b3.jpg

I will disagree with those that think that room above the port is dead space.

Volume is volume, It may cause some standing waves, but not something that really needs to be worried about in a subwoofer enclosure.

Now if it was a full range ported enclosure Id be more worried about standing waves, but since your looking at something that will have a response under 80ish hertz I wouldnt sweat it.

I would also agree with Kranny on doing a single common chamber enclosure and reinforce it internally.

Unless there is some reason such as space limitations to get it where it needs to go and you need to do it in 2 halfs to make it fit, or you want the box looking symmetrical.

Without the boxes being put together like drawn out it would open you up to more options, give you a tad more internal space since you would not have the 2 box ends that would be screwed/bolted together.

You would gain about 0.273 cubed if space is currently on the small side.

At this point you could also stack the 2 woofers on one side of the enclosure and have 1 larger port for the common chamber box on the other side of the enclosure and not have to worry about any other issues that you said you would have doing it other ways.

The main reason i went with 2 boxes on the initial design was simply to make it a ton easier to hoist this thing up and into the truck. 1 solid box this size can be a real back breaker to hoist above your head and into the truck on my own....lol

Thank you very much for the food for thought.

I would do that last design long before the first design you posted on the first page if all the number crunching you did adds up and looks good to you and everything fits..

I know it will fit. and there is no doubt the port on this design will work a ton better. just not looking forward to actually lifting the darn thing into the truck....lmao

that said, i do have a feeling it will sound a lot better than the box i currently have those 15's in

Now, correct me if my thinking is quite right on this, i should set the subsonic filter on the amp right at box tuning???

i like that new design wayyyyy better. and i wouldnt say right at box tuning. you got winisd so id check that and see what cone excursion is too high and set it there. or maybe even a little lower. just depends. ive got mine set at 20hz right now and have no problems.

so model that up with a 25hz subsonic and see how much that graph changes. you will probably end up with a hump right at the red line but it shouldnt go over...if it does either try raising that subsonic to 27 hz or drop the power back just a tad. personally...when i model it i will use power that is a little over what i will actually be running and get the excursion right at the max...and once impedance rise comes into play that graph wont really mean too much. unless by chance at that certain frequency you have no rise...but i highly doubt it lol.

hey btw, what kind of semi you got??? i work at peterbilt and would love to see some subs in a truck!

haha nice the most common truck!

go into the eq/filter tab and click add...should be a drop down box that will give an option for highpass/lowpass...select highpass. should be another one that has like an order or alignment option. dont mess with that. then you should be able to enter the frequency number then click ok or add or whatever.

Archived