My next step is to order sound deadening for my s10 extended cab truck .I had planned on getting stinger roadkill, 3 bulk packs (total = 108 sq ft.) But since iam ordering my wire and such from knukonceptz , the shipping is no extra if i do sound deadener from them at same time , so i looked at the Kno Knoise - Kolossus Edition which is 100 mil thick and could do the bulk pack plus door kit (total = 78 sq ft ) . I can get more coverage with the stinger kits , but would it equal out more or less doing the Kolossus since its 100 mil ? Would the 100 mil hold on the roof on the truck being as thick or should i consider the Resonance Control being its 80 mil ?

From what I have read (I am going to buy some fatmat for my gf's daughter's GMC JImmy), you only need it on portions of the long panels, not every inch of it or edge to edge. I had a Chevy S-10 X-cab so I am familiar with the lay out. 78 sq ft should be sufficient. The rear of the cab has ridged paneling for strength across a span, remove the carpet and add small strips to the areas that sound "tinny". Tap and go. Panels resonate across a span, and tinny sounds will be heard when tapping the center of the span, which is why strips would work. Read up on how edge to edge made no difference in the dampening of a vehicle.

-Frank

I used the 100mil a couple times (kolossus), actually doing a 2014 dodge journey right now as I speak with this stuff as well.
I used the 80 mil once on a ford flex as well.

Good deadener and prefer it over stinger roadkill and dynamat.

The knukonceptz deadener is sticky stuff, never an issue with 100mil or the 80mil sticking anywhere. Its a butyl based deadener not asphalt that can and will let go under high temperatures and fall off (like FatMat), and iirc there was a test done on the nicer fatmat that claimed to be butyl based but was still a heavy mixture of asphalt in it.. So Id avoid any asphalt company all together!

CT Sounds deadener is nice and so is Murdermat, but these 2 deadeners are made at the same factory as the knukonceptz stuff when I talked to the owner of CT Sounds, and even sent him a piece to compare for himself.
Second Skin Damplifier and damplifier pro (80mil) is also nice, it has a more rigid aluminum foil that doesnt mold around corners as easily.
Its priced a bit more unless you buy B-stock which then your getting deadener with lots of inconsistent thickness's in the butyl layer, or foil defects.

10577097_813626372005013_432419358066394

10635980_813971115303872_790706817144614

What I am going to do is as the bass hits, I will note all the places that resonate, mainly the roof, again a span. It's ridged, for the roof rack, but resonates badly. Deadening material adds weight and slows down the resonate to an inaudible level not reacting to the frequency at hand. I think I will do 3" or 4" inch strips in between the ridges. Play some more bass and see how the panel reacts. The outer door skins resonate as well, especially on the S-10. Add some in the center of the panel and add small chunky strips as you more outward from the center.

-Frank

Also almost forgot that Tantric Sounds has some really crazy nice and RIGID deadener out. I havent got a chance to use it yet, but will soon hopefully and do a review on it.

Its $150.00 for 22 square feet of it, so its a bit more than the average deadeners.

Small video someone did on it.

Its 2 layers of the tantric deadener.

I can assure you that even with 2 layers of the knukonceptz 100mil kolossus edition wont have anywhere near these kind of results. But I still love the knukonceptz stuff price to performance wise, and it works wonderful.

This roof is not budging one bit.

Thank you , iam im fl too and read the Kolossus was good . I'm hoping it dont fall was my concern .

It wont, its legit stuff unlike other bargain brands!

Its the cheap stuff that people think is no different, and made with asphalt which is what adheres it to the vehicle that fails.

Audiofanatic, Thanks for the 411 on the fatmat falling from high heat. I live in FL and that is exactly what I do not want to happen. I will overlook Fatmat and look into the Knu Koncepts Butyl stuff.

-Frank

You can use whatever you want, its your money and your vehicle.

;)

But Im just going to speak from what I know through experience first, and hear say and proven tests secondly. I will try to find the review of the fatmat stuff, but its was about a year ago when they came out with their new "buyl line".

The main thing to remember is the cheapest is not always the best, sure you may be able to do more layers, but if those layers cant hold up their own weight when hung upside down or vertically what good are they?

The guys vehicle that Im currently doing right now is a perfect example.

He had no idea what sound deadening is or was, but he seen some actual Duct tape (the shiny foil tape for taping up air ducts so they dont leak).

He did his entire trunk with this tape which must of took forever, and wondered why it didnt work. I didnt know the guy then and this was in his old vehicle, but I explained what sound deadener is and what the tape is and now he understands. Now on his new vehicle i got a couple hundred sq feet of the knukoncepts 100mill to install for him.

I tried another Bargain brand a few years ago called Zillamat.

Complete junk.

I emailed the company prior to ordering and several emails back and forth with him he said how its the same compound that dynamite uses, half butyl half asphalt based.

The stuff was to be 80mil, it was actually something like 43 or 53 mils thick, I measured it with a digital caliper.

It didnt stick unless it was hot, had to heat it with a heat gun in the middle of summer to install it. That shouldnt be!

After researching it, the box numbers on the plan box it came out to be protect o wrap for gutter and roofing flashing.

Got took on that deal!

Archived