Second Skin Audio

Box design help one RF T2D2 12"

Orfeous

• 1 month later...

Joe X, i built the box but im gonna scrap it and build a new one because i went in some difficults hehe.. it was my first MDF box ever.
Always built my boxes in 22mm particle board. Easy as hell.

The parts that went wrong was.. the pieces splitted up on several places. But i had drilled holes and stuff first. Maybe drilled to thin and used to large screws. i dont know.
It splitted very easy on the cornes.

The cutout hole for the woofer when completly wrong on the measurement part :) didnt have a circular pen or something to draw of..
cutted it out with a jigsaw and the fricking hole went 3cm larger on the inside!!! 3cm!! how the hell..?
about 1.5cm on the outside.. dont know what happend. Diameter was fine when we draw it out.
Maybe the blade on the jigsaw bended or something.

Another part was i mounted the L-port as last thing so i had no room to either drill holes or screw in screws :)

Also did a cutout for the speaker terminal cup. But im not gonna use that on the next box.

so... you live and learn... you learn by doing ;) now i learned some stuff about MDF and those slot-ported boxes.. when it comes to assembly.

On the assembly guide you gave me.. for the L-port. There are an extension piece and a front to back piece.
is it right that the longer piece is pointing to the sides? its nearest the woofer.. if you understand what i mean.
The picture does not show that.. it shows the opposite.

It is not about what part is longer, the extension mounts after the turn, if you are doing it right the port width remains costant before and after the turn, don't worry if your box didn't came too well, next time you will improve, have someone to help you or lend you some tools, the jigsaw is not too nice.

Archived