Was searching for battery under hood, now thinking just one for the back. Suggestions!

I have a '08 Grand Prix GXP. I am having a hard time finding a good battery to put/fit under my hood. The space they give for the battery to be placed is horrible. Also the battery has to be Reverse Polarity. One more note before we get to far is that I live in Minnesota, and if anyone knows Minnesota the winters can get F***ing brutal cold. So I need to have a battery with good CCA. The battery I have under my hood right now is a Interstate MT-85, CA 780, CCA 625, RC 95. Footprint 9 1/16 x 6 13/16 x 8. Now like a said before the spacing to fit this is tight and I don't dare go any Higher the the 8" my battery I have now is. I have came across 3 batteries that I think would fit, but I'm not totally sure they can help start my car in the cold cold cold winter. XS Power D5100R $249, Kinetik HC1400R $169, Stinger SPP1200 $239.

Here is my big question : Since I have such a crappy area to work with under the hood for battery space do I use my stock battery and just get a decent AGM for the REAR. Would I have to use a Battery Isolaitor sense I would be mixing AGM with a wet cell.

I'm really running out of options here I think unless someone can chime in and give a hand or suggestions on this.

I would suggest just upgrading to an AGM over mixing. The wet cell is going to pull from the AGM when the car is off and lower it's resting voltage over time. Save money and just get a new battery instead of a battery and an isolator, and then if you'd like, save a little more money and the money you'd have spent on the isolator you can put towards a second AGM in the trunk or something. Just make sure the replacement for the hood battery is a fit before you purchase it to save some headache of returns/exchange.

The only one that has CCA listed is Stinger that i could find. Their battery that you listed is 560 CCA. as for the other two, try and contact customer service or something and see if they can provide that information with you. How much do you need total for CCA? does your cars manual specify?

That alt will be good for that power draw for system and car. Did you check your cars operators manual? I would think that it should tell you how many cranking amps you need in order to start it, but i could be wrong. Try to find that number, and ask the battery manufacturers what the batteries that fit your car will provide at temperatures below freezing. The only thing a battery does is store voltage that is supplied to it from the alt and/or battery charger so you can start your car. So for your search for a battery, the only thing you should worry about is whether you can start you car if it's below zero with these crazy midwest winters, unless you intend to purchase multiple batteries.

Unless you listen to your system as loud as it can go when you're idling or you play it a lot and the car is off, that alt should be just fine for you imo. The best thing i can tell you about picking a battery is measure the space that you can fit it in and find the biggest one to fit that space. I just checked out XS Power's site and their OEM replacement for your Grand Prix says a D3400. It has 1000CA so i would assume it propbably has around 700CCA, could be wrong though. that would probably be the biggest battery for your hood though, and i think it would definitely be good enough for midwest winters. I've been in Great Lakes, Illinois for almost a year now, and it was below zero most days up from december to almost march, so i understand how cold it gets.

Archived