Adding extra battery in the trunk question

If you get a good battery for the rear such as a d3100 even with a stock alt you WILL see an improvement. When you start adding multiple batteries you will strain your stock alt and that's when you will run into issues.

He's obviously already straining his alt on 2k rms that he's dropping to 10.8 with. Adding extra batteries aren't going to put any more strain on that.

If you get a good battery for the rear such as a d3100 even with a stock alt you WILL see an improvement. When you start adding multiple batteries you will strain your stock alt and that's when you will run into issues.

He's obviously already straining his alt on 2k rms that he's dropping to 10.8 with. Adding extra batteries aren't going to put any more strain on that.

Hes dropping to 10.8 because of his lack of battery power. If he is only on 2k rms, even with an 80 amp alt, if he gets an extra 3100 in the back it will keep him in the 12 or high 11s worst.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

Yah its good I got a voltmeter cause I wouldn't have known. Also how do I know what my floating voltages are since batteries might not match, as I have been told different floats may cause 1 to drain the other. Big3 already done with 0 gauge. And is one run enough from front to back?

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Yah its good I got a voltmeter cause I wouldn't have known. Also how do I know what my floating voltages are since batteries might not match, as I have been told different floats may cause 1 to drain the other. Big3 already done with 0 gauge. And is one run enough from front to back?

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

Hes dropping to 10.8 because of his lack of battery power. If he is only on 2k rms, even with an 80 amp alt, if he gets an extra 3100 in the back it will keep him in the 12 or high 11s worst.

even if he adds a battery it's not going to last if his alt doesnt charge both batteries or he doesnt buy a charger.

OP, my personal opinion, find an alt that suits your power needs/desires (in case you plan to upgrade), but adding more batteries doesnt do anything if your alt cant charge them or you dont have a charger to plug them up. 10.8V at your battery means your alt cant keep up. Get an alt.

reedal I dont think you understand that just because he is dropping to 10.8 doesn't mean that he NEEDS a HO alt....

Yes obviously it will keep his voltage in the 13/14s with his 2k of power.

But buying just an extra AGM will help his voltage enough to keep it above normal levels.

It comes down to if he plans on upgrading his system later or not...

If hes not... then save yourself 300-400 dollars for the extra 1 or 2 volts.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

If you have a wetcell battery up front (Stock) and you plan on adding an AGM in the back the resting voltages will even out and the lifespan of the batteries will shorten.

So if the wetcell rests at 12.5 and the AGM rests at 13. then The AGM will eventually go down to ~~12.8 and the wetcell will rise to 12.8.

Its not a HUGE deal but you should have all AGMs to prevent this.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

I have an AGM upfront resting at around 12.8v.. I will get another AGM for the back and hopefully improve my voltage for now. Thanx for all contributions i appreciate

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

Batteries don't make power. They store the charge they are given. I never said he "NEEDS" an alt. I said in my opinion that would be the best route. His alt isnt keeping up with his demands, dropping him to 10.8V at idle, which isnt good because he's probably only at low 12's when the alt is putting out everything it can. Can he add another battery, yes. Would it help, yes. But only temporarily because he can not charge the battery back up with his alt.

It's a 2000W system? If OP doesnt want to upgrade to a larger setup requiring more power, then getting an alt that outputs 50 to 80 amps more than what he has is a great idea, and better than adding a storage unit to a setup than cant create anything to store.

Archived