Second Skin Audio

so been thinking about just buying some cheap 15's and going crazy

MeenGreenAudio

says he enjoys the criticism, calls someone an asshole because they don't think a 17 year old should start a business...

I say do it, build the car and the shop. The only reason high quality car audio shops are few and far between has nothing to do with this mindset...

i dont think i should start a business with the little knowledge i have now i want to know what im doing and know it well before i even think about that

not saying i disagree with starting a shop at 17 but i know if i did it would be hard to generate business and i would just constantly lose money

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon mids and tweeters

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

soon to be fu audio c pillar wall

please don't start a shop.m. Not until you are a more experienced person. Or else we will all just have another crappy shop..fucking peoples shit up trying to fit 35 12s in a Prius on a Kenwood amp and some twist connector head unit harnesses.

I did the budget build thing. 4 Kenwood 12s on about 1.2k. It was fun..sounded decent and all but j just wished I had some nicer gear.

also there's a reason their shop is taking a shit...maybe a bunch of off brand crap. Jus a thought. I think you have some shit to learn before starting a business in this over saturated hobby of car audio.

i was waiting for the assholes to come

LOLOL he's not being an asshole. if anything you're the asshole for not listening to everybodys advice telling you the same thing.

lets see the average 15 needs what, 3-4 cubes per woofer? multiply that by 18. thats 54 to 72 cubic feet of space just for the woofers. now take into account the port that will take up like 4 cubes, and the sub and bracing displacement which will probably be around 5 cubes as well. so you're talking upwards of 80 cubic feet of space.

you dont have that space.

please don't start a shop.m. Not until you are a more experienced person. Or else we will all just have another crappy shop..fucking peoples shit up trying to fit 35 12s in a Prius on a Kenwood amp and some twist connector head unit harnesses.

I did the budget build thing. 4 Kenwood 12s on about 1.2k. It was fun..sounded decent and all but j just wished I had some nicer gear.

also there's a reason their shop is taking a shit...maybe a bunch of off brand crap. Jus a thought. I think you have some shit to learn before starting a business in this over saturated hobby of car audio.

LOLOL he's not being an asshole. if anything you're the asshole for not listening to everybodys advice telling you the same thing.

i just dont appreciate the fact that none of u see the work ive already done i solder my wires and heat-shrink them im well aware of ohms and rms for amps i take pride in the systems i have built and i will take the advice but i wont take some bullshit false accusations, however if u see my work and u point out whats wrong then ya ill understand but not seeing the work and saying im just gonna half ass everything that pisses me off

but advice is advice and i am listening

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon mids and tweeters

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

soon to be fu audio c pillar wall

knowledge of resistance and power is fine. lacking knowledge of box space is another thing. stuffing more woofers in a smaller space = quieter than less woofers in proper space.

you can use the same soldered and heatshrunk speaker and power/ground wires for a ton of different builds. unless they're cut to length

i just dont appreciate the fact that none of u see the work ive already done i solder my wires and heat-shrink them im well aware of ohms and rms for amps i take pride in the systems i have built and i will take the advice but i wont take some bullshit false accusations, however if u see my work and u point out whats wrong then ya ill understand but not seeing the work and saying im just gonna half ass everything that pisses me off

...ok first of all the guy wasn't being an asshole he was making a assumption based upon most likely 1 or 2 posts. Sorry the internet and forums aren't great for getting a holistic view of a person. AND HE WAS TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. Criticism is good, if some guy is saying how great you are and to go out and put 52 woofers in a truck on a forum he has no accountability. And won't be there to pay the tab when the shit don't work the way you wanted it. More importantly you learn more from harsh criticism then someone trying to be nice and pump up your ego. Starting a shop is a bad idea if you are not really really ready to do so. At 17 you probably don't have the money up front or the credit to start a buisness.

Putting in a bunch of budget subs in a truck just to make it look cool usually doesn't do much good. Get your name out there by doing SUPER clean installs that you document for people. And you HAVE to know the business side of things if you are serious about making money. I used to own a painting and computer repair and parts business, its a NIGHTMARE. Or maybe the better word is rollercoaster, its really hard because you have tons of money comin in one second and then 3 months of nothing (depending on the industry). And then you try and hire people and thats a nightmare and then the man wants a peice so you start trying to figure out how to structure your taxes and by the end of the day you have NO money and a lot of debt. And the son of a bitch thing is you have NO time to do the work that needs to be done and you start to hate what you loved because of all the surrounding bs.

So heres the thing, you're 17. Ditch the budget subs and go for a super clean install that sounds amazing and puts up some big numbers so you can get your name out in the car audio scene. Document every build, everything you do so that people can see it. Don't take pictures from a freakin phone all the time, get a buddy with a DSLR or a decent camera to take before and after. THATS how you are to get people to notice.

Do something different and interesting with your install that people don't usually do.

Anyone can stuff a billion woofers into a car/truck and make it sound like shit. Try putting out some ridiculous SPL with 4" woofers or something ridiculous like that. Run a different enclosure type that people can see (plexi). Something different.

If you want a business, research the fuck out of it. Have 10% down on whatever small buisness loan you want, document every cost. Have a cushion for 3-5 years. Do market research in your area, see if you can even make money where you are at. GET THE KNOWLEDGE YOU NEED FROM PROFESSIONALS! If you don't you will be payiing someone else to do it.

Don't listen to these people that are just pumpin up your ego, be a realist and understand that starting your own business is extremely hard. Get your name recognized and then people will pay you to do work, once you have enough work on the side that you need a shop to build all of it, THEN start the buisness. Check the laws in your area too, location is extremely important because of traffic coming to your location, tax laws where you are and shipping costs.

...ok first of all the guy wasn't being an asshole he was making a assumption based upon most likely 1 or 2 posts. Sorry the internet and forums aren't great for getting a holistic view of a person. AND HE WAS TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. Criticism is good, if some guy is saying how great you are and to go out and put 52 woofers in a truck on a forum he has no accountability. And won't be there to pay the tab when the shit don't work the way you wanted it. More importantly you learn more from harsh criticism then someone trying to be nice and pump up your ego. Starting a shop is a bad idea if you are not really really ready to do so. At 17 you probably don't have the money up front or the credit to start a buisness.

Putting in a bunch of budget subs in a truck just to make it look cool usually doesn't do much good. Get your name out there by doing SUPER clean installs that you document for people. And you HAVE to know the business side of things if you are serious about making money. I used to own a painting and computer repair and parts business, its a NIGHTMARE. Or maybe the better word is rollercoaster, its really hard because you have tons of money comin in one second and then 3 months of nothing (depending on the industry). And then you try and hire people and thats a nightmare and then the man wants a peice so you start trying to figure out how to structure your taxes and by the end of the day you have NO money and a lot of debt. And the son of a bitch thing is you have NO time to do the work that needs to be done and you start to hate what you loved because of all the surrounding bs.

So heres the thing, you're 17. Ditch the budget subs and go for a super clean install that sounds amazing and puts up some big numbers so you can get your name out in the car audio scene. Document every build, everything you do so that people can see it. Don't take pictures from a freakin phone all the time, get a buddy with a DSLR or a decent camera to take before and after. THATS how you are to get people to notice.

Do something different and interesting with your install that people don't usually do.

Anyone can stuff a billion woofers into a car/truck and make it sound like shit. Try putting out some ridiculous SPL with 4" woofers or something ridiculous like that. Run a different enclosure type that people can see (plexi). Something different.

If you want a business, research the fuck out of it. Have 10% down on whatever small buisness loan you want, document every cost. Have a cushion for 3-5 years. Do market research in your area, see if you can even make money where you are at. GET THE KNOWLEDGE YOU NEED FROM PROFESSIONALS! If you don't you will be payiing someone else to do it.

Don't listen to these people that are just pumpin up your ego, be a realist and understand that starting your own business is extremely hard. Get your name recognized and then people will pay you to do work, once you have enough work on the side that you need a shop to build all of it, THEN start the buisness. Check the laws in your area too, location is extremely important because of traffic coming to your location, tax laws where you are and shipping costs.

The guy is 17 and said he was going to go to school and work in the industry before he even attempts anything. I wish people would take the time to read threads before posting huge rants like this. I don't understand why people are shitting on this kid. He's got a dream and he's got passion for it. Let him do what he wants.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP