Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Frequency tuning questions


shaggyjohnson

Recommended Posts

Posted

The recommended tuning for an vented enclosure is 40hz for the subwoofer I am going to use, what happens if i tune to 35hz or lower? How can I determine the best tuning for any subwoofer?

Most likely cabin transfer function compensated modeling will hint you on what to expect but lower tuning does better in many ways for rap and such deep bass music styles. Now general questions usually lead to bad answers so best is being very specific mentioning models for vehicle, subs, goals, etc.

Posted

The recommended tuning for an vented enclosure is 40hz for the subwoofer I am going to use, what happens if i tune to 35hz or lower? How can I determine the best tuning for any subwoofer?

Most likely cabin transfer function compensated modeling will hint you on what to expect but lower tuning does better in many ways for rap and such deep bass music styles. Now general questions usually lead to bad answers so best is being very specific mentioning models for vehicle, subs, goals, etc.

Posted

The recommended tuning for an vented enclosure is 40hz for the subwoofer I am going to use, what happens if i tune to 35hz or lower? How can I determine the best tuning for any subwoofer?

Most likely cabin transfer function compensated modeling will hint you on what to expect but lower tuning does better in many ways for rap and such deep bass music styles. Now general questions usually lead to bad answers so best is being very specific mentioning models for vehicle, subs, goals, etc.

Ok, I have 3 Rockford Fosgate 12'' P3D2's, and I have them in a slotted port box tuned to 40 hz, facing the back in my 05 Ford Explorer, and they sound really good....I built the box and tuned it to 40hz because that is what Fosgate recommends. Can I drop the tuning to 35 hz without losing any performance? How low can I tune a box with the P3 subs from Rockford? Also, I have each sub on its own amp, 750 rms, is it better to have each driver in its own box, or all three sharing one enclosure? I am asking this because I would like to have a vented enclosure for all 3 subs that I can change the port/s to tune it for differently on the go.

Posted

The recommended tuning for an vented enclosure is 40hz for the subwoofer I am going to use, what happens if i tune to 35hz or lower? How can I determine the best tuning for any subwoofer?

Most likely cabin transfer function compensated modeling will hint you on what to expect but lower tuning does better in many ways for rap and such deep bass music styles. Now general questions usually lead to bad answers so best is being very specific mentioning models for vehicle, subs, goals, etc.

Ok, I have 3 Rockford Fosgate 12'' P3D2's, and I have them in a slotted port box tuned to 40 hz, facing the back in my 05 Ford Explorer, and they sound really good....I built the box and tuned it to 40hz because that is what Fosgate recommends. Can I drop the tuning to 35 hz without losing any performance? How low can I tune a box with the P3 subs from Rockford? Also, I have each sub on its own amp, 750 rms, is it better to have each driver in its own box, or all three sharing one enclosure? I am asking this because I would like to have a vented enclosure for all 3 subs that I can change the port/s to tune it for differently on the go.

I don't compete, this is for my daily driver, listening to rap and dubstep, as well as rock and heavy metal. I like the flex and the mirror shakes'.

Posted

3 amps on 3 subs and separate chambers, it sounds like a nightmare to do variable tuning on that, if you want variable tuning I'd go with a single amp to source everything and a common chamber, common removable port box.

If you just want to tune lower your setup to 35Hz likely you won't lose output significantly (you are not competing so if you were to lose 1-2 dB it wouldn't matter) but you will gain extension, rap and such will sound nicer and you may feel a little more flex going on. Not sure if it will be worth the effort though, all that work for a slight change. I am in for a serious upgrade if rebuilding a setup, then again it's your call.

Posted

For the sake of experimentation, couldn't you build a port extension to attach to the outside of your box to extend the port a couple inches? That should lower tuning freq, won't affect box volume, shouldn't be too hard to reverse if you don't care for it.

Just thinking of solutions that don't involve major changes.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

 

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Posted

I don't mind building a new box. The box I have now gets the job done, but there are some things i could have done to make it better, stronger and etc.. There is a ton of ideas and plans for enclosures online, but none really explain what is best for your equipment or vehicle. I think eventually I will do bigger amp/s and different drivers, and I will do that with a newer and larger vehicle. Thank you Joe X and philrab for your answers and thoughts.

Posted

I don't mind building a new box. The box I have now gets the job done, but there are some things i could have done to make it better, stronger and etc.. There is a ton of ideas and plans for enclosures online, but none really explain what is best for your equipment or vehicle. I think eventually I will do bigger amp/s and different drivers, and I will do that with a newer and larger vehicle. Thank you Joe X and philrab for your answers and thoughts.

Unrelated to tuning, in suv applications, subs up/port back USUALLY works/sounds best. If ur building a new box I recommend making that change.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4768 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...