Second Skin Audio

New Build / first build / help needed

Hello allz. I have just started a new build, and its kinda my first. Oh about a few months ago i picked up a 97 jeep grand Cherokee, Only to find out that all the speakers where blown :_, so i fingered what the hell lets get a little crazy, so far i changed out

The head unit - Kenwood KDC BT558U

door speakers - Infinity Reference 6502Ix

stock amp to - infinity reference 4-channel car amplifier (475a)

subs 2 sony 370watt RMS on a shitty old amp that goes into protect mode

their wired in parallel to bring them down to 2 Ohms

KnuKonceptz KNF-60 2 Way 0 Gauge Power AND Ground Distribution Block 0 / 4 Gauge Out

and i installed 0 gauge wire from front to back to a power block

everything sounds good but the subs, so this is the part im kinda stuck at, i have to nvx vsw124 on the way with a new amp (SPL GLA1-4500D). im going to build my box this time around and i just cannt seem to find all the specks on the subs, and really want to get the most out of them and not have to build a new box cus i got the specs wrong.

i got them from sonic electronix. not all the specs are on the page i also tryed NVX web page but they dont have all the specs ether.

any help would be really really appreciated!

PS tryed googling couldnt find the specks i was looking for.

if theirs any info u need that i missed just ask.

Congrats on the new Jeep, those ZJ Grand Cherokees are great cars.

I looked on NVXs website they say between a 1.1 and 1.75 cubic feet of net airspace per sub, depending on where you look. I'd shoot for something around 1.5 cubic feet per sub, tuned to the low 30's with about 35 sq in of port area.

I can't say I'm impressed with the amp you chose, hopefully it works out for you.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So far with all the reading and videos ive been watching the general kinda tune im thinking of is about 34hz. too many number rolling around in my head lol but this is waht i got so far, hoping im on the right track.

so the inside of my box would be width 40, hight 17.5, depth 8 with a sloted port width of 2.28 and a langth of 31.82

i was tying to use a program called winisd pro but didnt have all the sub specs and the hz graph was looking real wanky

if this is way off and some one like to give this a go, my max dimensions are width 42 hight 19 and and max of 14 deep

3/4 MDF should be fine right?

Enclosure dimension look good. 3/4 MDF is good, but you should double up on the baffle.

That amplifier choice is...not the best.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

is the amp bad quality or something, it was an implus buy and it was in my buget.

just rememberd what my old shitty sub amp is lol i think you guys will like this one

Visonik VB10PKG 300watt

The problem with the SPL amp is mainly the trustworthiness of their marketing department, there is just no way it puts out the power they say it does. Honestly if it puts out half of the 2200 watts its rated at @ 1 ohm I'd kinda be surprised. With that in mind, the fact that they call it a 4500 watt amp is just a flat out lie. Usually companies that have to lie that much to sell their stuff aren't selling the kinda stuff you really want to have.

Now with that in mind, maybe it work out well for you and everything will be fine, who knows? What I said above is just my opinion.

I strongly suggest when you get to wiring things up and setting your gains you use either an o-scope or a DD-1 so you don't clip the shit out of your subs. If you don't have access to either of those tools please find someone who does.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

ya thats what i was thinking to after i bot it, be for i joined this forum i thought i was going slow and taking my time picking things for the build and now looking back, i just jumped in the pool with out checking what end i was jumping into, got lucky with the door speakers and amp. The sound grate and i've never had a problem with kenwood, think i've owned 4 decks from them now. as for the subs they seem to be a good mid level, and haven't found any bad reviews, as for the spl amp will see how it goes. well everything will be here tomorrow, still have to build the box, so ill post back with an update on how everything went. fingers crossed. the got shipped from the US to CA, Edmonton hope they make it in one peace.

That's a decent subwoofer. It can handle 600w RMS. (LINK)

Their subs are underrated too, so they can probably take around 800w RMS just fine. Don't really know anything about your amplifier, but... it should be enough for that sub. Just be careful and make sure to avoid clipping, follow this:

http://www.soundqubed.com/Tech-Tip-Clipping_b_16.html

Also, I saw you mention you upgraded the wires under the hood. Did you also ground the alternator to the battery?

That's a decent subwoofer. It can handle 600w RMS. (LINK)

Their subs are underrated too, so they can probably take around 800w RMS just fine. Don't really know anything about your amplifier, but... it should be enough for that sub. Just be careful and make sure to avoid clipping, follow this:

http://www.soundqubed.com/Tech-Tip-Clipping_b_16.html

Also, I saw you mention you upgraded the wires under the hood. Did you also ground the alternator to the battery?

Those gain setting directions couldn't be more wrong. You just need to read up and stop spewing a non stop stream of dumb shit.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

ya i forgot to add that in, ive done the big 3/4 , added grounds and just gotta pick up some more 0 gauge ends for the positve to the alt.

as for setting the gains i have all my gains set very low till i can get my o-scope working or pickl up an SMD DD-1

Archived