Ford 4.6L Misfire Issue

Hey guys I'm not 100% certain this is the right spot but here goes. I have an 08 F150 Supercrew with the 4.6L V8 with 181K. I keep having random misfires and can not pinpoint the issue. This initially started about a year ago and I took it to a shop. They quoted me $1600 to change the plugs and the COP's. Not liking the price Iordered the parts and did it myself. I installed 8 Motorcraft plugs and 8 Motorcraft COP. The problem went away.... for a bit. About 2 months later it started again so I opened the hood and unplugged to COP's one by one until I found the one not firing. I bought a generic one and replaced it and problem solved.... again for a bit. That is the history.

Now it skipd randomly, sometimes a day or so with no issue, sometimes a day or so of constant skipping. I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and can pull the codes at any time. I always have the P0300 which is Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire and for the most part all of the misfires detected seem to be on the passenger side on cylinder 1-4. This past weekend I pulled and replaced all 4 plugs on that side as well as the COP's and I still have this annoying damn skip. Another trip the the shop yesterday (2 of them actually) and all they will say is that all of the COP's need to be replaced.

I'm at a loss here guys! If anyone can offer any assistance or advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Does your scanner have a graph or can tell you which cylinder is misfiring? If it's loaded mostly to one cylinder you can try moving the COP to another cylinder and see if the miss follows if it does Vio-la! You know it was the COP. If it doesn't follow move the plug. If you're still on the same cylinder move the injector. Lastly if you've moved everything and you still have a miss on that cylinder You've either got wiring problems and or mechanical problems. Also P0300 is nothing more than the computer telling you,"Hey I've got misfires they haven't counted enough on any one cylinder for me to nail it down but here ya go." P0301 - 308 Tells you specifically which cylinder is giving you grief and that it's within the manufactures threshold for counts set against that cylinder for throwing a code. If you're all over the board with misfires see if swapping sides for the COPs does anything.

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. ~Hannah Whitall Smith

Thanks for the response. I have tried swapping the COP's. Sometimes the problem follows, sometimes not. Sometimes a completely different cylinder will misfire. For instance this morning I was showing P0303 and P0302. I swapped the COP on 1 and 2, and 3 and 4. Now I have P0302 and P0304. Does that make sense. Essentially I have moved eevery COP and some point or another. Plugs as well. The only thing I havent touched is the injectors. I guess that should be the next step huh?

Any gunk on the plugs? Is it all the time or only under strain?

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

The only thing I havent touched is the injectors. I guess that should be the next step huh?

Yeah I'd suspect injection or fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure first before moving injectors. I'd probably do a fuel injection cleaning and dump a bottle of seafoam into the tank and see what that got me then move'm and see if the problem followed. It could be something as dumb as poor fuel and sticky injectors. Seen all sorts of problems with this ethanolized fuel.

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. ~Hannah Whitall Smith

I just did some cop inspection, I think I may have a bad head gasket on that side. I pulled number 1 and number 4. The COP on 4 was clean the one on number 1 was brownish looking and had what appeared to be antifreeze on it. . The rubber looked a little swollen. Just as a test I wiped it good and put two pieces of SHCA 2/0 heatshrink on it and reinstalled. Skip went away. It seems like it may have been arcing inside the cylinder. I have noticed the brownish residue on a few of the other cop's as well. But only the ones on that side.

The brownish residue is condensation and a poor seal for the COP. Once they start arching though there really isn;' a way to fix it just put a new set of boots in. Use dielectric grease and that'll seal the boot to the plug and reduce the condensation. On the earlier Tritons though the brownishness was indicative of a plug blow out.

Ok, so new boots. I'm guessing I should thoroughly clean the area and just use the dielectric grease on the end of the boot where it meets the plug? Or grease the whole boot?

I squirt it into the end of the boot where the 2 meet. No need to slather the whole boot. When you set the COP in place make sure the area is clean where the boot meets the head. I blow gun the hole when I pull the COP before pulling the plug. That normally gets the grit and stuff out and away.

Archived