TheMonolith2001 Posted October 28, 2014 Report Posted October 28, 2014 So the crossover that came with my tweeters has settings of 4k, 4.5k, and 5k with 6db slopes. I thought I was being safe by replicating the 4k 6db slope on my active setup, but apparently that .5k made a difference because I blew it up. Checked the resonant frequency of the tweeter and its almost dead on 3k. Had I known that before I would have used 5k. Whatever... Now I need at least one tweeter. Should I replace it with the same focal tweeter TNP? Myself and others find them a bit harsh, maybe try a pair of something else? EQ didn't seem to help much because by the time you took the harshness away you take away too much detail. I can't say enough good things about the mids though. Anyone have any suggestions on what would pair well with the Focal PS 165 mids i have in my doors? The factory crossover for that was 3500k 6db which seems about right for what it can play well. I was thinking the Focal TNB series but they are pretty expensive. I don't HAVE to stick with Focal.
TheMonolith2001 Posted October 28, 2014 Author Report Posted October 28, 2014 Anyone use the Alpine SPR-10TW tweeters? They seem nice on paper and aren't too expensive. I guess they would be the tweeters that come with the Type R component set if anyone is running those. I haven't heard them since several product generations ago. I think I have at least decided this, I need something that plays well down to around 3k-4k, and I would like silk dome instead of aluminum. The inverted aluminum cone on the Focals is probably why I found them harsh. Power isn't too big of a deal because I can run off headunit or I have a spare amp I could install.
TheMonolith2001 Posted October 29, 2014 Author Report Posted October 29, 2014 These? http://store.crescendoaudio.com/rts-1-audiophile-silk-dome-tweeter-kit/ Anyway to get more specs on them? I haven't even been able to find ohms resistance and I need things like Fs! Dynaudio is way out of my price range at 350+ a set. Unless I am looking in the wrong places. Thanks though!
TheMonolith2001 Posted October 30, 2014 Author Report Posted October 30, 2014 well I can't find enough specs on the Alpines either so I guess those are out. They claim they play down to 1k, is that where the factory crossover is set? If so I'm golden with those. What about the Rockford P1T-S tweeters? Anyone like them? It seems like I could safely cross those over at 4k. Really nice mounting hardware comes with them as well. I saw someone on here recommending the Polk db1001. These also look nice!
TheMonolith2001 Posted October 30, 2014 Author Report Posted October 30, 2014 so after googling the Alpines and looking at the crossover I see 3.3uF, 12K highpass? That seems a bit high. I guess that would explain the power handling!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.