Sundown Audio

PHD2 Earthquake Shredder OLD ones modding questions and true output??

sinful7

I picked up a 2000 earthquake PHD2 shredder amp off ebay for 30 bux broken.. Well I recieved it and found some mosfet transistors were broken and it was objously was repaired once cause some were not even soldered or the amp got soo hot it melted off the solder... But I ordered the parts to fix it up I hope good as new.. I also plan to do the resisitor mods, and toss a 30 or a 40 amp fuse in it as I plan to use it for mearly burping a 13w7 sub at .75 ohm..

Now I never owned one before, and I remember back in the day these were some of the most used amps for SPL only systems.. they claim 2000rms @2 ohm, and with the fuse change can be ran at 1ohm, and burped at .5ohm.. But what the power levels are I have no clue..

My question is I have searched and found bench tests from I am assuming biased people and not sure on if they are modded or not.. But I have heard anywhere from 1200rms @2ohm, and a hair over 2000rms @ 2ohm unmodded.. I am assuming at 1 ohm it will crank out 2200-2300rms, and the .5 ohm maybe 2500rms? These are unmodded again minus the fuse change..

Does anyone know the truth with these amps power output? and why I see such a wide range on output on stock amps?

Since I am doing the resistor mods to mine while I am replacing all the mosfet transisitors, I assume mine will be a hair more powerful than it should be in stock form.. What other mods are done to these to get more power out of them does anyone know? Then finally since I will run it on the 13w7 I will obviously be burping it at .75 ohm with just a guess on those whom know facts on these amps could anyone give me a guess to what the output would be under a solid 14v and plenty of battery current? basically perfect conditions?? I am just trying to estimate what I will have, on if I should repair and sell it to buy another amp or not for this reason only..

My daily driving amp is a Audison Lrx 5.1 for my whole system and the sub runs 3ohms off it and its wonderful, couldnt ask for a better sounding system in my view..

But since I picked up this amp so cheap.. I thought why not change my port out in my car to a higher tune for SPL and strap on the PHD2 for a few 3 second burps and see if I cant win some local SPL shows next year??

Any help is appreciated guys, and I know im not going to break records.. its just honest stuff about this amp is what im seeking...

Oh final thing, after I have it all repaired, whom does bench testing on amps who could tell me the output it truly makes, or is their some way to tell this on a multimeter? Sorry if its a dumb question I really just dont know..and am one of those guys who wanna know exactly what I have etc..

3 cubes 13w7 at 32hz currently on audison lrx 5.1, and rough estimate 3 cubes 45hz tune on PHD2 @ .75 ohm burp. :) Its going in a 97 GTS Coupe Viper so I hope to break that magical 150db mark using the PHD2 amp, and a tune thats more towards the res freq.. Think its achieable or that I have a lot of work to do to make that number happen?? Just dreamin so dont flame me guys... :)

Thanks in advance!!!

these amps were terribly inconsistent thats why you saw such a big spread. did I read youre putting this in a viper? tp be perfectly honest you should tske some of the money you saved on the amp and buy a fire extinguisher. you have a pretty good chance of needing it. ive seen more than a few charred

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

already got one of those.. and this is really just for one show.. like i said I have the Audison that is my real amp.. this is just to go to one or two local shows, toss it in burp it and remove it.. so as I totally get your point and agree, its nothing that will be staying in my car longer than maybe an hour, and during that hour in use for 15-20 seconds. and believe me I will be watchig it.

still no idea what these things actually do, and if the mods I am doing are correct or if anything else can be done to up the power.. Id love to actually have 2000-2500rms at 2 ohms in a small footprint like the PHD2 is. If you know of another amp like that let me know.. as long as its reasonable of course.. But like i said I bought this off ebay for dirt cheap, and for just a few dollars ill have it working again. Why not play with it for a show or two and see if i cant hit a number and gain a trophy! Im after that magical 150db mark.

I also may be swapping the 13w7 for a 12" type X and run the audison at 2 ohms and the PHD2 at 2 ohms also for the comps.. in fact I have a feeling I will be doing that...

is my goal even achievable without crazy work you guys think or do I simply need more power, cone area, box, and air space?? my cabin is quite small and I can fit 3 cubes.

any advice guys on modding these things?? and at .75 ohm for a burp is it unheard of having over 2300rms power?? given proper electrical system?

Archived