Small battery, Capacitor or Neither?

I want to lead with the fact that this question is based on spending no more than 60-70 dollars to give an extra boost the electrical system. I understand that won't get me much, but my question is whether it is worth it to spend the money at all. It looks like I would be able to afford a 1-4 farad capacitor or a smaller battery like a Kinetik 600 size for my price range. Right now I will be running a MTX TC4004 for the mids and highs and a JL Audio 300/4 bridged running my subs. I plan to upgrade to a Soundqubed 1200 or RF 1200 in the very near future, when this happens I may switch to using the JL for the mids and highs, but that would involve me having to upgrade my mids and highs as I dont think my current cheap Planet Audio's could handle the JL, once again I digress and that is another topic for another thread. The point is, expansion is inevitable, but I currently don't have any electrical upgrades except for the big 3 upgrade. Will the big 3 be sufficient by itself? Could I benefit from adding a capacitor or a small battery if dimming lights are not an issue, or would it be a waste of money?

I ran a 2600 watt amp in my truck for years on stock electrical with the big 3. Depends on what size of stock alt you have... are you currently experiencing issues? If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a cap. Just save up for a nice AGM battery to replace your stock one up front and you'll be golden.

Also, when you say your planet audio speakers won't take the JL... you could always turn the gain down.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

I believe my stock alternator is 100 amps. I haven't had a system hooked up for a while and I have not used this setup in my car before, so I cannot say if there are problems yet. My old setup made the lights dim, I added a 5 farad cap and it helped a little I wanted to plan ahead and do it right this time. There was quite a bit of going back to redo things in my previous setups that I would like to try and avoid this time around.

And yeah, I guess there wouldn't be a problem with using the JL for my current mids and highs. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived