MB Quart mid ruined?

Heavyhitter1k

I bought 2 sets of MB Quart PVI-216 components for my doors. They worked great and I love them!

Recently, one 6.5" mid got wet it appears. When i turn up the volume a decent amount, the amp goes into protect. If I disconnect the "broken" mid, everything plays fine. I played detective and found the culprit. It looks like the terminals have some corrosion.

Suppose to be 4ohm mid, but reads closer to 3. Even when i bypass the terminals and go straight off the speaker leads. It will play music at a lower volume, but I am assuming if you turn it up and give it more juice, the voice coil is causing the amp to see a lower impedance and cut out.

Can something like a 6.5" mid be reconed or have a new voice coil? Everything else about the speaker is fine I just can't use it currently due to the issue.

Thanks!

My follow up question, being as cost conscious as possible, if the mid is a total loss, what can I do to easily replace it? I would want a pair of speakers and I would only need the mid. What would be a good priced and comparable replacement? 4ohm single coil 6.5" mid. Original specs on component set are:

• 6-1/2" Premium Series 2-Way Component Speakers System
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 280 watts per set / 140 watts each side
    • RMS: 140 watts per set / 70 watts each side
  • Polypropylene cone woofer
  • Rubber surround
  • Crossover filter (2900 Hz, 6/12 dB/octave)
  • 4 ohms impedance
  • 1" Voice coil

Sounds like a defective mid that you'll have to replace.

Most if not all mids in the doors should not have a problem with some moister as that is what they were designed to do in that environment.

I think i had an issue with improper water drainage in the door which led to the mid getting more wet that it usually would. I have fixed the water issue but now am out a mid bass driver.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61207_Rockford-Fosgate-P165-S.html

rockford stuff looks decent, and appears it would mesh well with what I already have. probably just swap out mid bass drivers in the doors (leaving the other mid, 2 tweeters, and crossovers per door) as a fix.

Rockford is good stuff and you won't be disappointed in them, and it should work out good for you.

Do you think mixing and matching stuff will make a difference? Basically I have 2 component sets PER door, all MB Quart stuff, just going to replace 1 of the 6.5" mids per door with a rockford mid.

Or if I get the rockford with the integrated crossover, I may use the mid w/ crossover and tweeter, and basically have 2 different component sets in each door. Sounds like a cluster f but I don't wanna replace it ALL when the rest works fine...

Ideal would be to replace both sets, but if it works out that you only need to replace the one set you should be fine.

We are not talking about mixing different sizes of subs, so there shouldn't be any unforeseen sound issues with both sets playing well together.

In the event something does sound a bit different then you'll want to replace the second set of speakers and shelf them for a later use or sell them off.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Cheap speakers are cheap speakers.. We're not talking about magnesium cones and shorting rings. Go get a halfway decent mid off parts express like a Dayton classic that matches the size and impedance of your driver and pop it in there. Component set crossovers almost never include conjugation or response profiling like notches so chances are you won't have to deal with anything other than your crossover point wandering a couple Hertz which you won't be able to hear anyway.

ShadowStar

Archived