Second Skin Audio

aero ports confuse me.!

gmoxley1

So I've been trying to figure out port area when using aero ports and I keep hearing pi ®^2 and I keep wondering where length comes in. Can someone explain where length comes in because sure a longer aeroport has more area but the equation does not account for it. Any help would be great

Just for info I'm building a 3.75 cuft box for 1 sundown x 15 tuned to 32 hz trying to use 2 3" inch areos. Or 2 4" once I figure how this all works. Any suggestions and explanations welcome!

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3

Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga

subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's)

Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs

Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash 

sae 50.4 for mids and highs

SMD OM-1 on the subs

With port area length doesn't come into factor. For a 4 inch aero you have 12 inches of port area. So if you want to aim at 15 sq inches per cube, I would do 2 6 inch aeros.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

With port area length doesn't come into factor. For a 4 inch aero you have 12 inches of port area. So if you want to aim at 15 sq inches per cube, I would do 2 6 inch aeros.

I'm in no way disagreeing with you but how is it that length is not used? It's blowing my mind! Haha

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

I'm in no way disagreeing with you but how is it that length is not used? It's blowing my mind! Haha

Length is used, it is just used to determine tuning frequency and how much internal box volume you port takes up. It is not a factor in determining port area. A 4" diameter port has 12.57 sq in of port area, at 6" has 19.63 sq in, etc.

Where

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Length is used, it is just used to determine tuning frequency and how much internal box volume you port takes up. It is not a factor in determining port area. A 4" diameter port has 12.57 sq in of port area, at 6" has 19.63 sq in, etc.

Where

I gotcha I understand now. So by that I do need need 2 six inch aeros only problem is when I use any kind of calculator it says I need like 30 something inches long and I don't have that kind of room.

Am I just not able to use aeros for my application? I'm doing subs up and port back in the back of a 98 blazer and my depth is only about 20 or so inches.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Where

I gotcha I understand now. So by that I do need need 2 six inch aeros only problem is when I use any kind of calculator it says I need like 30 something inches long and I don't have that kind of room.

Am I just not able to use aeros for my application? I'm doing subs up and port back in the back of a 98 blazer and my depth is only about 20 or so inches.

When you increase port area you need to increase the length of the port to achieve the same tuning frequecy. If you can't increase your port length any longer, you will have to shrink your port area so you don't need as long of a port.

03 Sable LS

AA mayhem 12" D2

Sundown ZV4 12" D1

Tantric HD 12" D2

Tantric SHD 12" D1

Sundown X12 V2 D2

2.5 cu net

Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm

XS Power XP2000

Sky High Sound Deadener

Sky High wire

Stock alt

You can run as much of your aero port external as needed if your box isnt deep enough. just keep the distance from the end of the port to any obstruction at least the width of the port.

You can run as much of your aero port external as needed if your box isnt deep enough. just keep the distance from the end of the port to any obstruction at least the width of the port.

I gotcha. May be going back to slot port then. Haha oh well. Just wanted to experiment with aeroports. But I'd rather get the area I need and tuning I want then experiment and not like it.

1998 chevy blazer 4 door

stock alt 105a

SMD OM-1 on the subs

Archived