Sundown Audio

Need some help with amp going into protect

775Tundra

I've been having problems with my dc 90.4 turning off at low volume and sometimes no volume. Stereo is avh-x4600bhs. Here is what I've done:

Disconnected speaker outputs= amp turns off still

Disconnected RCA's= amp stays on

Connected 3.5mm jack to rca adapter from my phone to the amp= able to turn volume on phone and gain on amp all the way up without turning off

Ran new RCA's from stereo to amp= amp turns off

Seems that amp would turn off at 16/40, sometimes straight into protect with no volume after initially turning off at 16 then power cycling the head unit. This is now my second head unit doing the same thing, both the avh units. I know it's not the amp because it doesn't protect with 3.5 to rca cable from phone. When I switched out the last deck it worked perfect for a month then started doing this again. Does this scenario describe the pico fuse thing? What would cause it to go bad?

Btw my 175.4 and 7.5k stay on.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

Where are your inputs coming from? The head unit itself? Try using the rca going into the 170.4 and see if the amp goes into protect...

From the head unit to the 90.4 then 90.4 has preouts with splitters to the 175.4, so the 175.4 is getting the same signal. Like I mentioned though, with the 3.5mm to rca cable from my phone to the amp the amp stays on.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

Check the voltage coming from your HU through the RCA's. Not sure about DC's amps, but most have an over voltage protection, so if your HU is sending out too high of a voltage it could be that. Does it do it with all formats playing from your HU? Cd, auxillary, radio? Or just one type?

Check the voltage coming from your HU through the RCA's. Not sure about DC's amps, but most have an over voltage protection, so if your HU is sending out too high of a voltage it could be that. Does it do it with all formats playing from your HU? Cd, auxillary, radio? Or just one type?

Yes it does it with all formats. It was good for about a month. The last one was good for almost about 6 months. I will check the rca voltage. I ended up ordering a kenwood double din anyway. Just want to figure what's been going on. Thanks for your input I definatley forgot to check the rca voltage.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

Archived