I can see as independnat tests, 40HZ and 1kHZ both showing no distortion at full volume, but when trying to find the distortion level of the deck per the instructions its mathematically impossible to land at full volume. Maybe I'm doing this incorrectly, the instructions and YouTube videos aren't consistent.

5. Play track 1 on test CD, turn the volume control up until you see the signal detect LED illuminate.

6. Continue turning up the headunit and you should see the 40Hz Detect LED illuminate.

7. Slowly continue turning up the headunit until the Distortion LED illuminates, then turn headunit down slowly until it goes out. Note the volume setting.

8. If you have a full range amplifier, change to track 2.

Repeat the steps 3 - 5 above, this time noting the 1kHz Detect LED.

9. Now take the noted maximum volume settings from the 40Hz test and the 1kHz test and average them. This is your maximum undistorted volume setting for the headunit.

My deck has a max volume of 40. It didn't distort with the 40Hz test tone so my initial number is 40. I played track two and noted the 1kHz detection volume, which was 22. I averaged those resulting in 31 as my max undistorted volume.

Edited by mechanix619

My 80prs can reach full volume 1khz 0db. Max again with 40hz -5db.

Turn sub level all the way up and with a 40 hz -5db tone I can still reach 61/62.

So yes a head unit can reach full volume and be clean doing so. But the same one can be slight lower then full volume depending settings.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If you get distortion at volume 22 with 1k test tone and volume 40 with the 40hz then your average would be 31.

But that would be a bad way to do it.

How are you distorting at volume 22?

Are you using a line driver or something?

If not I would turn up sub out till it distorts at 22 or close and use that volume to set gains. Otherwise you are gonna distort the hell out of your mids at volume 31

Edited by strangeduck

Average is not between detect and distortion. Average is the distortion of 1k and 40hz

Not according to the instructions.

8. If you have a full range amplifier, change to track 2. Repeat the steps 3-5 above, this time noting the 1kHz Detect LED.

9. Now take the noted maximum volume settings from the 40Hz test and the 1kHz test and average them. This is your maximum undistorted volume setting for the headunit

Edited by mechanix619