Joe X Posted December 4, 2014 Report Posted December 4, 2014 Ok Genesis730 check the box post, the height is reduced to a minimum now, hope it helps.
Genesis730 Posted December 4, 2014 Author Report Posted December 4, 2014 Will do. I don't know if this makes a difference but here's what I pulled from the website: Outer Diameter: 15.5" Mounting Diameter: 14.12"
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 4, 2014 Report Posted December 4, 2014 Will do. I don't know if this makes a difference but here's what I pulled from the website: Outer Diameter: 15.5" Mounting Diameter: 14.12" Based on those dimensions you should be able to forward mount that sub, but just barely. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Joe X Posted December 5, 2014 Report Posted December 5, 2014 Will do. I don't know if this makes a difference but here's what I pulled from the website: Outer Diameter: 15.5" Mounting Diameter: 14.12" The box is fixed up above in the box post, you should do a cardboard dummy box size: 15 5/8 x 28 x 20 1/8 and test fit, if goes in you are good to go.
Genesis730 Posted December 6, 2014 Author Report Posted December 6, 2014 Joe, you are amazing!! Thanks a lot for your help. Last question, what software did you use to calculate that?? I'd wanna continue learning and I'd like to play with different subs and numbers to understand it more. Thanks!
Joe X Posted December 6, 2014 Report Posted December 6, 2014 You're welcome, I use sketchup for the figures and custom software for calculations. Calculations though are a little part of how a box needs to be done, I would recommend reading tons of threads on this section on the topic to increase your knowledge, every issue that someone has had with their systems has been discussed on here somewhere.
Genesis730 Posted January 8, 2015 Author Report Posted January 8, 2015 Joe X, Triticum Agricolam, or anybody else, I have revised the suggestion build by Joe X because the cut sheet would not create the box if followed. I created a 3D model based off the suggested cut sheet dimensions and if it were built, would look like this: Since the front has no easy way to exactly cut out the port, I revised the model to look like this: And with a final revision looking like this: Kerfed? Not sure how easy that is but I thought I'd show it off. The values are slightly different from the suggested dimensions, in the overall volume and more importantly the port length, my question is would the slight variance make much if any difference? Here's a breakdown of exact dimensions for my revision
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 8, 2015 Report Posted January 8, 2015 Making the kerfed ports isn't tough to do, but if you are going to go to the trouble of doing it I'd also flare the mouth of the port where you will get the most benefit. Then I'd either use a kerf or big roundover on the inside end of the port. Your braces are a bit on the large side. 1" or 1-1/2" dowels will provide all the strength you need. Or you could do a window brace connecting the top, bottom, side, & port panels together. That would probably be my preferred way to do it. If you post a link to your SketchUp file, I can show you what I'd do. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Genesis730 Posted January 8, 2015 Author Report Posted January 8, 2015 I thought about the "window" style but I didn't think a brace connecting to the port wall would be sturdy enough. Maybe I'm wrong I thought the braces were sort of large as well but I only raised the wall one inch. Looking at the cut sheet now, I'm going to drop it down .125 to make my measurements more even and that should also lower the diameter of the braces. I'll report back and also send the .skb file for you Triticum Agricolam, thanks! Non-Kerfed: https://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=75549621274573936845 Kerfed: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/596091/AI15-box-complete-kerfed-skp.html feel free to modify whichever you like, thanks again! You're a huge help on my project! NOTE: there is some ad that comes with clicking the link, just close it. Couldn't find any site that didn't prompt something or another UPDATE: I just plugged in the dimensions with -.125 height and it changed my diameter from 3.5" to 3", I''d probably have to take about .75" down to make a 1" - 1.5" brace. and that lowers the port volume quite a bit. oh the struggle
Joe X Posted January 8, 2015 Report Posted January 8, 2015 Joe X, Triticum Agricolam, or anybody else, I have revised the suggestion build by Joe X because the cut sheet would not create the box if followed. I created a 3D model based off the suggested cut sheet dimensions and if it were built, would look like this: Since the front has no easy way to exactly cut out the port, I revised the model to look like this: And with a final revision looking like this: Kerfed? Not sure how easy that is but I thought I'd show it off. The values are slightly different from the suggested dimensions, in the overall volume and more importantly the port length, my question is would the slight variance make much if any difference? Here's a breakdown of exact dimensions for my revision Genesis730 regardless of what you end up doing I have revised the assembly style of the cutsheet to match the figure, my apologies for that.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.