Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help with box dimensions?


Genesis730

Recommended Posts

Posted

Here are my ideas for bracing and flaring the port ends. With the brace this way it strengthens more of the panels and only takes up 90 cubic inches of volume.

2yqHyPO.jpg

K1lcdZd.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Can you link me with that file Triticum Agricolam?? Also great design, but two questions. First, I'm assuming no but I thought I'd ask, but is the corner where the kerfed port rounds necessary or should I just use port as the wall? Secondly, with the window brace does all that surface area slow down / effect the air movement and ultimate performance?

Posted

Sure here is a link to the file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642665/%5BMegafileupload%5DAI15%20box%20complete%20kerfed.skp

When you say the corner where the kerfed port is do you mean this one?

16bSHpg.jpg

If so I would just put a 45 piece in that corner to help with the air flow.

The window brace should have no effect on performance. The openings in that brace are about 1400 sq cm, and your cone area is only like 810 sq cm or so (sorry, my brain works in metric for cone area and such). Anyway, it should be no problem.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I mean about eliminating the unnecessary walls here, seems like a good idea. Question: How do you curve the wood?

And if I did that then I would lower the back wall by .75in and extend the top .75in to cover the back wall. :)

jAUKovu.png

so as long as there is more opening in the brace than there is cone area, which is spot on (810 cm^2) then there is no impact on performance?

Posted

Ok I understand what corner you are talking about now. Yes you should be able to eliminate the pieces outside the curve.

As far as how to do the kerfing goes, Mark explains it a whole lot better than I could here: http://caraudioresources.com/index.php?/topic/7-kerfing-101-how-to-kerf-mdf-for-curved-port-applications/

For the bracing, I can't give you an exact number for how small of a brace opening you could make in relation to cone area before it would impact performance. If I were to guess I say you could probably go a low as 2/3rd cone area, but that's just a guess. Regardless, with the proposed brace you are at almost twice the cone area and there is no way it going to impact output.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Here's a higher than standard efficiency port alternative without the need for kerfing:

1x_SFPF_high_efficiency.jpg

Just some 45 deg cutting is necessary to complete it.

Overkill on lower power 18-19 mm Xmax subs in a daily setup but then again... each to his own.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4682 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...