What happened to my crossover?

That would take a lot of time, but I'll explain it quickly.

A crossover is a cut-off filter, it's a high pass filter (and a low pass filter).

In cheap crossovers there is only a passive high pass filter to block out the high frequencies.

A high pass filter consists of a capacitor and a resistor in series ( a coil, in this case=speaker).

The capacitor is chosen so it cuts off the frequencies you want it to cut off.

7d87bc118166402407c6194a521f4eac.png

Low frequency= high reactance, high frequency= low reactance.

And as we all know, Z=R+X (resistance+ reactance= impedance)

So the resistance stays the same, but the impedance is a lot higher at low frequencies so the tweeter or subwoofer(subsonic) will draw less power.

If you put the capacitor in parallel with the resistor, you get a low-pass filter.

Because the capacitor has a lower impedance at higher frequencies, the power will flow through the capacitor instead of the resistor(or coil in this example).

Less power goes to the speaker at high frequencies= cut off above certain frequencies.

Just like how your subwoofers/midrange/tweeters/... impedance will change and the impedance graph will reflect the frequency response of the driver. (but obviously a subwoofer isn't just a coil aka a inductive load. Since it's a coil in a magnetic field producing a magnetic field, which complicates things)

EDIT: to answer my own questions, impedance is affected by the crossover, especially above/below the cut-off frequency(COF), above the COF it will increase the total impedance(below it will act normal if it's a low-pass filter, and vice versa for a high-pass), it creates a cut-off frequency by either increasing or decreasing the impedance that is seen by the amplifier.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived