"Snap On" Battery Charger Specs

I have a friend who is using a "Snap On" battery charger (model number EEBM500 with a max charging rate of 4A).

He is trying to charge a Kinetik HC 3800 (135ah).

I have tried looking everywhere for the specs on the battery charger but cannot find if it can handle the 135ah battery capacity.

Does anyone have direct knowledge of this or a gut feeling if it can handle this battery capacity?

I think he needs a better charger but I just want some confirmation on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Actually the rate of charge does have to do with capacity so maybe it's you who should read.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Still is relative to capacity.

Charge rate is often denoted as C or C-rateand signifies a charge or discharge rate equal to the capacity of a battery in one hour.[3] For a 1.6Ah battery, C = 1.6A. A charge rate of C/2 = 0.8A would need two hours, and a charge rate of 2C = 3.2A would need 30 minutes to fully charge the battery from an empty state, if supported by the battery. This also assumes that the battery is 100% efficient at absorbing the charge.

A battery charger may be specified in terms of the battery capacity or C rate; a charger rated C/10 would return the battery capacity in 10 hours, a charger rated at 4C would charge the battery in 15 minutes. Very rapid charging rates, 1 hour or less, generally require the charger to carefully monitor battery parameters such as terminal voltage and temperature to prevent overcharging and damage to the cells.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

So for him if the battery were Completely dead it would take 33 hours to charge with that charger.

Based off c rate.

Still is relative to capacity.

Charge rate is often denoted as C or C-rateand signifies a charge or discharge rate equal to the capacity of a battery in one hour.[3] For a 1.6Ah battery, C = 1.6A. A charge rate of C/2 = 0.8A would need two hours, and a charge rate of 2C = 3.2A would need 30 minutes to fully charge the battery from an empty state, if supported by the battery. This also assumes that the battery is 100% efficient at absorbing the charge.

A battery charger may be specified in terms of the battery capacity or C rate; a charger rated C/10 would return the battery capacity in 10 hours, a charger rated at 4C would charge the battery in 15 minutes. Very rapid charging rates, 1 hour or less, generally require the charger to carefully monitor battery parameters such as terminal voltage and temperature to prevent overcharging and damage to the cells.

Right... But if you'd click the link and find out the charger in question is AGM capable, and is fully automatic....

The question isn't "can my friend charge his battery in an hour and a half with this trickle charger?"

The capabilities of the charger mentioned are in question. When yes, the 4.0amp charge will do any 12V battery on the market.

It doesn't matter if it's a tiny battery for an ATV, or a 4DLT or whatever. The capability is there.

The rate at which it charges has nothing to do with the capacity of the battery like you're suggesting.

Oh so you didn't say it has nothing to do with capacity?

It would have been fine for you to tell him the charger will work fine without you trying to make it seem like he was clueless.

Why do you think guys with big battery banks buy a charger with a higher charge rate?

Could it maybe have something to do with capacity?

Hmm I'm not sure.

I'm sorry I offended you so deeply with how YOU took my tone of text.

It obviously does. But if he's asking the question that he is, it's a litte bit beyond his realm of knowledge at this point in time to go THAT into detail about it.

Is the 4amp charger going to be capable of charging the 135AH battery? Yes.

Is it capable of charging a 600AH capacity battery? Yes

The rate at which it charges has no effect on the capabilities of the charger in that sense. No it's not going to be fast.

I apologize that I didn't word that correctly.

Archived