"Snap On" Battery Charger Specs

I have always been told on other forums that certain battery chargers can only charge up to certain battery capacities.

Take the CTEK 3300: It states it can charge up to 120ah battery capacity. Charging current is 4A max.

Take the CTEK 7200: It states it can charge up to 225ah battery capacity. Charging current is 7A max.

Take the CTEK 25000: It states it can charge up to 500ah battery capacity. Charging current is 25A max.

Both your points are well taken and I appreciate the response.

I wanted to give an update on the situation.

Last night my friend started to charge his battery. The battery voltage was around 12.5 volts prior to charging. After two hours the charger said "fully charged" and automatically shut off. During these two hours the highest battery voltage reached was 14.1 volts. He left a volt meter on the battery during charging.

This is drastically different compared to when I charged this exact same battery using an XS Power HF1215 intellicharger. I would charge the battery when it dropped to 12.6 volts and it took over 5 hours to fully charge the battery. The voltage would finally reach 14.4 volts after about 4 hours. This was consistent each time I charged this battery.

If my charger charges at 15A and needs 5 hours to fully charge the battery than this tells me his charger is not nearly sufficient to handle this battery capacity. His charger charges at 4A, so how could it be complete after only 2 hours?

I would appreciate if "Redwolf2" and "Broke Audio Addict" chime in on this situation again.

maybe because when he put the xs charges the battery had even less charge then when you put it on the snapon charger

when i charge my batteries lets say i wait a month to charge them. it takes 10 to 15 hours to charge them. if i only wait a week to charge them it charges the batteries in less then 3 hours.

Noelito,

I understand your viewpoint and initially thought this as well. The only problem is that in both situations the battery is being charged when it drops below 12.6 volts.

The other thing to consider is that when he charges the battery the voltage never goes to 14.4 volts. I thought this was a must to proper charge any battery.

http://www.4xspower.com/HF-Charger-Manual.pdf

Ok redwolf2, please explain this. The above link is for the XS Power HF1215 intellicharger. On page 1 under the "three stage charging" section it states that the first stage of charging is the "bulk" stage. During this stage the voltage is allowed to float (I assume at 14.1 volts). However, it states that only 80% of the battery's capacity is restored. His charger turns off after reaching 14.1 volts. Mine stays on for another few hours and the voltage goes to 14.4 volts, allowing for 100% of the battery's capacity to be restored.

To me, his charger is not capable of 100% fully charging the battery.

Archived