Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

hdc3 15 help


d0dru65

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey, I need to make sure I'm building this right. This is my first ported enclosure and a little iffy on the whole theory behind it but I'm diving in anyway. Through research I've gather the HDC3 wants 18-20 port area per foot which I have achieved but does the actual port volume seem high (i've heard 60-70), I don't know. Also the actual build is a little troubling as I am unsure I'm going about this correctly so I attached a pic of what the box I'm thinking of will look like.

Subwoofer: HDC3 15 copper coil

Amp: Alpine 1000rms @ 2ohm (later on AQ1200)

Car: 2011 Impala (Soon to be 2013 CTS)

So based on the info below I'd like the gurus to go over this for me. If I messed something up the only dimensions that matter is the height and width, depth can vary,

Torres Calc. Piece

r6wvgl.png

Box with out the top piece. (bring total height to 16.75"

4uarsw.jpg

Posted

The "port area per cubic foot" rule is really simplistic and inaccurate. There are better ways to determine how much port area you need.

Your port is definitely bigger than it needs to be given the amount of power you are going to run, though it won't hurt anything being that size. If you reduced your port width to 4" from 5" you would still have plenty of port area and it would save you some space.

Other than that your design looks good to me.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Your box design looks fine. With an xmax of 36mm shows it needs a lot of port even more than you have. But with the power you have you could try a slightly bigger box to compensate for the underpowering. I tried mine in many boxes but found 4.5 cubes with 90sq inches of port worked well(for me that is)

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

The box external depth in the sketch is 24.5 and in the Torres is less, and you need to review your port internal parts to make sure width is 5" end to end. Just making sure your cutsheet comes out without errors.

Posted

I noticed that error when I was posting, so I edited the calc and it didn't effect to much, gained .25 net volume and dropped to 34.8. I also didn't account for the bracing I'm going to put in the corner so all in all should be right at 4 cu ft @ 35hz.

Thanks for reviewing my plan, but I do still have some questions. By narrowing my port from 5" to 4" I get a net volume of ~4.5 with a tune of 31, would that be too low for a wide array of music? (Going from simple to more complex bass tones)

Just trying to do this right on the first go and avoid a shit sounding box.

Posted

I noticed that error when I was posting, so I edited the calc and it didn't effect to much, gained .25 net volume and dropped to 34.8. I also didn't account for the bracing I'm going to put in the corner so all in all should be right at 4 cu ft @ 35hz.

Thanks for reviewing my plan, but I do still have some questions. By narrowing my port from 5" to 4" I get a net volume of ~4.5 with a tune of 31, would that be too low for a wide array of music? (Going from simple to more complex bass tones)

Just trying to do this right on the first go and avoid a shit sounding box.

If you decreased your port width you could then shorten up your port length to get the tuning back to 35 Hz. Then you could decrease one of your external dimensions to shrink the box back down to 4 cu ft. Please keep in mind you don't need to do any of this. You can leave your design as it is and you will be just fine. I just suggested decreasing your port area some because based on the amount of power you are going to be running you don't have to have that much port area and usually people like to save space if they can.

If saving some space isn't important to you, just leave things as they are and go build it! Then post pictures!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

If you decreased your port width you could then shorten up your port length to get the tuning back to 35 Hz. Then you could decrease one of your external dimensions to shrink the box back down to 4 cu ft. Please keep in mind you don't need to do any of this. You can leave your design as it is and you will be just fine. I just suggested decreasing your port area some because based on the amount of power you are going to be running you don't have to have that much port area and usually people like to save space if they can.

If saving some space isn't important to you, just leave things as they are and go build it! Then post pictures!

Sounds good my friend, I play around with it some more and then get to cutting. Thanks.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3096 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...