Making Toyota Sexy - Crescendo, Rockford, Ascendant, XS Power, Mechman, Knu and More

Hopefully this gives you a better image of what I'm saying

2010build_6.jpg

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Dude I thank you for the help. I know that is what it is suppose to look like. I seriously tried to stretch it out like that, but because the piece I'm stretching it around is so big I could not get to unwrinkled for the life of me. I even tried doing it one half at time to see if that would make a difference. It also does not help that my apillars are not all that big or even flat for that matter. Ugh...

Dude I thank you for the help. I know that is what it is suppose to look like. I seriously tried to stretch it out like that, but because the piece I'm stretching it around is so big I could not get to unwrinkled for the life of me. I even tried doing it one half at time to see if that would make a difference. It also does not help that my apillars are not all that big or even flat for that matter. Ugh...

Maybe try a different fabric. I have a feeling I am going to run into these same issues with my doors. Also it looks like you used two pieces, I wouldn't do that. (also I am a super noob when it comes to fab so grain of salt as always) Also check out the CAF videos for glassing his little tips on the TYPE of materials he uses I think is super helpful.

Looks great by the way, makin me feel like a slacker!

Maybe try a different fabric. I have a feeling I am going to run into these same issues with my doors.

Thanks bro! I might just try to stretch out what I can and then just use body filler on it for like a whole day! lol Kudos on that zero gauge you got btw! :domodance:

Maybe try a different fabric. I have a feeling I am going to run into these same issues with my doors.

Thanks bro! I might just try to stretch out what I can and then just use body filler on it for like a whole day! lol Kudos on that zero gauge you got btw! :domodance:

miguels schooled me its 1 gauge but whatever it will be a start. I still need to sort out electrical and sound deadening to come in. I'll catch up to you though!

Can we see pics of the wrinkles etc?

Added it to post, feel free to critique but I would appreciate it to be helpful rather than condemning :)

Wow you thought that was condemning!? It was just a question. I was just trying to see what you did. Maybe, in your posts you could be a little more specific about where you're posting your pictures. I don't go back and look at the first post again, because most of us post pictures while in progress in our threads, hence the "go to last post" button you select when you get the thread ipopped up in your notifications.

If you don't want anyone's help then say so. But I think you're in the wrong hobby for that, and especially the wrong forum.

But carry on, I wish you luck.

I'll edit this, since I went back and looked, but that picture wasn't there when I posted that question yesterday. it said you edited it, which I assumed that picture was there, and then it was taken off but the first picture was the only one that was there. Not the one of the pillars.

But I agree, not that you want help, but you would be much better off doing it again. You can stretch a tshirt over it, and clamp it in the back, not on the sides but behind the pillar, and then put a layer of resin over it when it's straight. Once it's dry, take the claps off and cut the excess material off. DON'T cut the centers out until you're 2nd or 3rd layer. When you do that you loose the strength and the whole thing tends to relax because it's not strong enough yet on the first pass. Alot of guys will wait until it's all done to cut the speaker holes out.

If you body fill it that way, the way you have it, your pillars are going to weigh 50 lbs, with out the speakers in it.

Just suggestions. If you want any.

Added it to post, feel free to critique but I would appreciate it to be helpful rather than condemning :)

Wow you thought that was condemning!? It was just a question. I was just trying to see what you did. Maybe, in your posts you could be a little more specific about where you're posting your pictures. I don't go back and look at the first post again, because most of us post pictures while in progress in our threads, hence the "go to last post" button you select when you get the thread ipopped up in your notifications.

If you don't want anyone's help then say so. But I think you're in the wrong hobby for that, and especially the wrong forum.

I'll edit this, since I went back and looked, but that picture wasn't there when I posted that question yesterday. it said you edited it, which I assumed that picture was there, and then it was taken off but the first picture was the only one that was there. Not the one of the pillars.

But I agree, not that you want help, but you would be much better off doing it again. You can stretch a tshirt over it, and clamp it in the back, not on the sides but behind the pillar, and then put a layer of resin over it when it's straight. Once it's dry, take the claps off and cut the excess material off. DON'T cut the centers out until you're 2nd or 3rd layer. When you do that you loose the strength and the whole thing tends to relax because it's not strong enough yet on the first pass. Alot of guys will wait until it's all done to cut the speaker holes out.

If you body fill it that way, the way you have it, your pillars are going to weigh 50 lbs, with out the speakers in it.

Thanks man! And I did not mean to suggest you were being condemning, I thought 'thefourth' was mistakenly. I def want you all's advice! I need it considering I am learning as I go. I might redo them if I can find the will to do so :P

And yes, I did originally have the picture up, but then I took it down cuz I thought it looked really bad..

Thanks man! And I did not mean to suggest you were being condemning, I thought 'thefourth' was mistakenly. I def want you all's advice! I need it considering I am learning as I go. I might redo them if I can find the will to do so :P

And yes, I did originally have the picture up, but then I took it down cuz I thought it looked really bad..

ah don't be scared. I post up all my fuck ups. Better to be up front and honest about your shit and learn from it. Plus its not like you're a professional and even they make mistakes.

That's what we're here for. NO matter how bad it looks, you're learning, we get that, so by posting them up we can check them out and say hm, not bad first attempt but this may help you get better results in the future............insert advise here.

I've found most material works, it's jsut a matter of how you've stretched it, attached it, and how much you've wet it etc. Just takes trial and error. First time I ever thought about pillars, I litterally thought I was supposed to lay mat over it and try and stretch that. I was quickly corrected before I wasted it. I used grill cloth to get a nice base, and then glassed over that.

There are a few guys here that will use pretty strong material, and then just resin over it over and over and over again. They do it so smoothly that minimal filler is needed after sanding.

Keep at it. Looking forward to seeing more.

• 2 months later...

I am back guys! I spent so much time on this forum that I decided to give it up for Lent! Not easy! haha Anyways, my build has progressed some! The apillars were "done" but I hated the way they turned out. Primer/paint were drying with cracks and panels were not as smooth as I would like...in the progress of trying to make them not look like sh**....kinda a pita...I tried wrapping in 4-way stretch vinyl...could not get it to work....makes me want to redo them all together and only put tweeters in the them...I might need to get new panels though...anyways....here are the pics of my apillar journey! Please give me advice if you have any!

20150221_204301000_i_OS.jpg

20150221_224800139_i_OS.jpg

20150221_224812335_i_OS.jpg

20150221_224816536_i_OS.jpg

20150221_224816536_i_OS.jpg

20150222_170911000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_173339000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_195942000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_201927000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_201927000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_223029000_i_OS.jpg

20150222_223608000_i_OS.jpg

20150223_000122523_i_OS.jpg

20150227_231156000_i_OS.jpg

20150228_174343504_i_OS.jpg

20150228_174344439_i_OS.jpg

20150228_175515901_i_OS.jpg

20150228_183407146_i_OS.jpg

20150228_193409000_i_OS.jpg

20150228_193438000_i_OS.jpg

They look better in the picture than they do in person....just saying...

Archived