Perks of going to COLLEGE.

Interesting find when testing the Idle Air Control Valve.

When you remove the valve, by turning the ignition key in and out, the solenoid moves the needle in and out.

My engine at start up will go from 1000-1500, up and down, for about 1 minute before staying at 1050-1100 which is high.

Should be right at around 850-900 rpm in stock mode.

Luckily since I am half espanol I understand what they are saying. :D

Fast forward to 1:25 to see the IAC in action.

Now, here is my IAC. I am heading to the junk yard now for a used IAC to test the solenoid motor.

Before shooting the video the needle actually "jumped out" of the solenoid. lol. I was like "WTF?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qerWxcJCtgM

Trust me, I want to install the stereo and drive with the t-tops off, not til I figure out this engine idle.

Thanks for visiting this thread.

-Frank

it's THEN motherfucker not THAN lol :)

anyway, sucks to have to throw in the towel but at least you put in the work first, then got to a point where it really is throw in the towel rather than just being lazy!

It's actually than.

Nope. He wasn't comparing, he was talking about order. Besides, I was just busting his balls, friendly banter.

Yeah, I'm just bored, and very pedantic. I'm just busting your balls.

It was a comparison. He compared it to before.

The ironical thing is I am a high school dropout in a thread about the perks of going to college arguing the finer points of english. I'm not sure why I'm allowed on the internet. It's probably Obama's fault.

Well that made no difference. Damn. At 1000 the motor is rough and you can feel it through the entire vehicle. Even in gear.

Other possibilities to cause a rough idle are

1. Timing chain- might be causing the cam to be out of alignment, which may have been giving me my 304 and 301 codes. I have no codes since resting the ecm.

2. Cat Converter is going bad. When the motor is rev'ed the cat makes alot of noise over the custom exhaust. A rapid flapping is best way to describe it.

-Frank

Ok update, the build stereo build will finally continue!

Took the car to my buddies shop this am. His mechanic who is familiar with Camaro's (which mechanic isn't familiar with 3.8L right?) put the car on a scanner.

IMAG1276_zpstcomqhwu.jpg

The camaro threw a few codes that my DYI scanner did not pick up.

1. The engine is idling at 780-789 RPM (on the scanner) which I was glad to hear! The stock tach still reads 950- way off but he says that's a GM tach thing.

2. The fans DO COME ON now when the temp reaches 235 degrees. Did he reset the PCM??

3. The MAP sensor was only reading 6 in. vacuum, he replaced some bushing/o-ring(?) on the sensor and that fixed that!

4. P1153, I buying a Denzo O2 sensor now.

5. P0441, He said worry about that later. I think it's the charcoal canister.

Now that I have a good bill of health. I can proceed.

Things in the works.........

A new RK Sport Front spoiler. Yes I will be a creeper going over speed bumps and going sideways up driveways! I'll buy it when I'm ready to paint.

RKS-01013001_zpspshw0kdb.jpg

Sub #3, ID V2 D2 coming from South Carolina. Should be here today.

idsubsc_zpswvdvetbb.jpg

Lisa sat in the car yesterday. Her comment after listening to DJ Snake and AlunaGeorge "You know you like it"

"Babe, not sure how to tell you this, but this stereo comparing it to the Bimmer, makes the Bimmer sound like shit".

LOL. Yeah these I.D. sound amazing!

-Frank

Archived