Triticum Agricolam Posted January 27, 2015 Report Posted January 27, 2015 I've still not had anyone prove to me or seen anybody prove that you can have an adverse affect from large amounts of port area, if I recall correctly Triticum and I once talked about exceeding past cone area. ... Yup I remember that conversation. The only disadvantages I see of large port area are implementation issues where you just don't have the space, or the port get so long you have port resonance issues. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
magillaru Posted January 27, 2015 Report Posted January 27, 2015 I guess "flaw" was a poor choice of wording. Great explanation though.....thanks! That makes much more sense now. My net volume came out to ~8.4 tuned to 32.5 hz and will be running them on one AB 1100.1 hoping to see around 10k. I have a build log on here if you want to check it out. Hey I just looked through your build log. Your setup looks great! I'm sure it pounds!I plugged all your box specs into WinISD, based on what it said you may benefit from a little more port area, but who knows. A lot of it depends on just how much power you actually end up getting out of your amp. Things like impedance rise and power compression make that a tricky thing to know w/o something like an AMM-1. If you want to know for sure if your getting port compression, you can test for it if you have access to an AMM-1. I still don't have it playing yet but hopefully it will be okay. I'm thinking it may have been better in the 140-160 range.....??? Just based on experience and what you came up with in wini, do you think I'll be okay with where I'm at now?? I need to play around with wini more.....I tried before I built this box but couldn't really figure it out. I just saw your other post so that's probably why I was having trouble with it. This is the first box I've ever built so once I play around with the program, I'll build another one this summer. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 27, 2015 Report Posted January 27, 2015 I still don't have it playing yet but hopefully it will be okay. I'm thinking it may have been better in the 140-160 range.....??? Just based on experience and what you came up with in wini, do you think I'll be okay with where I'm at now?? I need to play around with wini more.....I tried before I built this box but couldn't really figure it out. I just saw your other post so that's probably why I was having trouble with it. This is the first box I've ever built so once I play around with the program, I'll build another one this summer. Yeah if it were me I'd probably shoot for something in the 160-180 sq in area. The hard part is then fitting the thing in the box. Port design almost always ends up being some kind of balancing act. As far as whether you will OK with where you are at right now, I really can't tell ya for sure. You certainly aren't going to hurt anything, you just may lose a little bit of output to port compression, but like I said earlier, that will depend on just how much power you actually get out of your amp. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
magillaru Posted January 28, 2015 Report Posted January 28, 2015 Damn. Oh well, at least I got some good experience building this box. So far, the overall designing and woodworking aspect has been my favorite part of the build and I'll look forward to building another one this summer (with more port!). As long as I won't hurt anything, I'm fine with that. Like I said, hoping to get around 10k out of the amp with all other variables considered.....once I get it playing, it's going on termlab and I'll do some testing. *Not chasing numbers with this build but it will still be fun to see what it can do. Singer Alternators Team Asshole #anothershittysingerbuild
Gmansontos Posted January 28, 2015 Author Report Posted January 28, 2015 I downloaded winisd and half the stuff makes no sense to me. Would one of you guys mine to put in the numbers on what Im using and let me know what my minimal port area can be. I got two sundown audio X15 d4 subs. On a saz-3500d wired at 1 ohm. I should be able to fit a 7-8 cube box after displacements assuming the port doesn't get ridiculously big. I want to tune at 32hz and use a slot port. One side of my port can be as big as 18 inches I just need to know how big the other side needs to be to not have port noise. Thank you
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 28, 2015 Report Posted January 28, 2015 I plugged the numbers into WinISD and from what it said I'd make your port 18" x 7.5" for a total of 135 sq in of port. Sundown's recommendation is 68 sq in of port per sub, so that puts you pretty close to that. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Gmansontos Posted January 28, 2015 Author Report Posted January 28, 2015 You know another thing sundown audio gives you is a sample box for dual subs, but what gots me scratching my head is if you add up the port area on that sample box it comes out to 98 cubic inches total. (Compared to 68 per sub that's recommended) On top of that the volume after all displacements is 6.6 Cubic feet total. (Compared to 4.25 cubic feet per sub that's recommended) Am I missing something here.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 28, 2015 Report Posted January 28, 2015 Sundown uses generic boxes for a bunch of their different models of subs. For some reason, from the X-series page they link to the design that is optimized for the E & SA series subs. If you download the one from the Z v.4 page it has 126.5 sq in of port, which is more appropriate. I didn't bother to calculate the volume, but I bet its more too. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.