Gmansontos Posted January 31, 2015 Report Posted January 31, 2015 okay so I had a car audio shop tell me the darndest thing yesterday. But before I get into that I would like to say that in my experience I've always built a sealed box for my subs not ported as I have very little experience with ported boxes. With that being said every time I've built a sealed box for 10 12 or 15 inch sub The bigger the cone the easier it played lower frequencies. Basically the 15 sounded deeper than the 10. Now I don't know if this is different when it comes to ported boxes. But basically what the car audio shop told me is that 10 and 12 inch subs will easily play below their tuning than 15 and 18 inch subs. That 15 and 18 inch sub will not play below their tuning easily at all. That's telling me that the 10 and 12 will sound deeper than the 15 and 18. Can anyone please clarify my confusion.
MrSkippyJ Posted January 31, 2015 Report Posted January 31, 2015 your confusion is they were wrong. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Gmansontos Posted January 31, 2015 Author Report Posted January 31, 2015 That's what I thought... I just thought I'd see what people say on here before I made any decisions
bkolfo4 Posted February 1, 2015 Report Posted February 1, 2015 Bigger cone does not mean lower frequency. Sealed or ported. Speaker t/s parameters and box design determine low frequency response. If a series of drivers is designed correctly and installed in the correct enclosure, larger subs should just be louder due to increased cone area. Playing below tuning in open space causes output to fall off quickly and the driver excursion to increase. In a vehicle, pressure in the vehicle and cabin gain can cause mixed results with the actual output you get below tuning. Not really related to cone area. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Gmansontos Posted February 1, 2015 Author Report Posted February 1, 2015 So are you saying "in general" that between a 10 and a 18 inch sub neither one is going to play below tuning any better than one another
bkolfo4 Posted February 1, 2015 Report Posted February 1, 2015 Correct. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.