Second Skin Audio

4th Order Design Help

crownvicon28s

Im trying to design a 4th order for my crown vic for two zv3 15's. I want to see what you guys think of the design plus I have a few questions about it that I hope you guys could help me with. I want to do a 2:1 ratio, 6 cubes ported and 3 cubes sealed. The box dimensions are 40'' wide, 25 high, 21.5 deep which is 10.47 cubes. I designed the ported and sealed section as two seperate boxes which means the baffle will be doubled. The subs will be facing down into the sealed section. The ported section will be 40'' wide, 16.5'' high, 21.5'' deep = 6.68 cubes. The subs have .44 cubes of displacement together. Bracing will be 1'' wooden dowels. The sealed section will be 40'' wide, 8.5'' high, 21.5'' deep = 3.12 cubes.
Now the confusing part the port. The port will be an external slot port, not sure if this is the correct terminology, ported up through the rear deck. Each sub calls for 48 sq in of port so I need 96 sq in of port total. Port dimensions are 16w 6h 15.25L @ 43 hz. So overall how is this design? Anything that I need to change? Is the port area and tuning correct or should I tune higher, say 45 hz? I would like to play as flat as possible from 25-65.

This is what I have in mind.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/137995-lemon-marquis-a-trunk-no-more/?fromsearch=1

When you calculated your port area did you calculate for just regular boxes or did you specify bandpass? As bandpass requires a different amount.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Ok. Redone the design. This is what I am thinking now.

I am currently running two zv3 15's dual 2 ohm subs. I was wanting to know if the design I have in mind would work and get some ideas on how I could make it better. Sorry for the crude drawing. Lol. This is what I have in mind box wise. I was going to face the subs down but I saw Hackmuches post about eliminating 90 degree angles. My idea was to put the subs near the top the box so that they would fire directly toward the port instead of facing down and firing to the top of the box. I was thinking 2.5 cubes sealed with a few pounds of poly fill to get it to play like its around 3 cubes, 7 cubes ported after displacements, and 176 sq in. of port. 2.8:1 ratio ported/sealed. I will figure tuning when I find the sealed resonance frequency. Aiming for 45-46hz. Do I have enough space?

Sub tsp's
Fs: 33.4Hz /33.5Hz
Re: 1.8 /3.6ohm
Qms: 7.3 /6.3
Qes: 0.5 /0.5
Qts: 0.5 /0.5
Cms: 64.2 /65.1 uM/N
Mms: 352.8g /345.0g
BL: 15.8 /21.8N/A
Vas: 57.2L /58.0L
Sens: 87.6 /87.7 1W/1m
Le: 1.9 /4.3mH
RMS: 1500 watts

Trunk

2011-12-03_14-22-00_747.jpg

Bad Rendering. Lol.

20150205_115949_zpsa5557e15.jpg

I read I should start with the port area as half of the cone area and work it down from there. Box will now be built in the trunk so I have almost 14 cubes before displacements.

There is a certain equation for it, however the site that I normally I use appears to be down as of right now.

I would have to do some Googling to find it, or searching on here and I have class soon, so I can't really be a quick help on it.

If you have any questions Triticum Agricolam is very knowledgeable in the subject and I'm sure he would be able to help you if you sent him a message.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/122994-triticum-agricolam/

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Thanks for the compliment Krakin! I hope I can live up to that expectation.

I'm traveling right now, so I can't really crunch any numbers until I get home on Saturday. A couple questions for you, what are your goals with this system? How much power are you going to run? What kind of music do you listen to?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Krakin! I hope I can live up to that expectation.

I'm traveling right now, so I can't really crunch any numbers until I get home on Saturday. A couple questions for you, what are your goals with this system? How much power are you going to run? What kind of music do you listen to?

Efficient enclosure that does decent numbers plays flat from about 25-60. I listen to all kinds of music: decaf, gospel, rnb, pop. I'm running a ct 4000.1. Just read that I shouldn't fire the subs directly at the port so maybe sub inverted on each side of the car facing each other? Sent you a pm. Get to me whenever you get time. Not going to be building the box for another couple of weeks. Thanks bro.

To get a flat response you're going to have to try multiple enclosures in various orientations.

Archived