Sonic Electronix

Getting help understanding what Subwoofer db/spl sensitivity means.

Alright everyone im kind of caught up under this term. I use to have 1 18 fi btl that had a sensitivity of 94 db I think ... around there. it was loud. apparently they scale it at 1watt to 1 meter distance. now that being said I sold my fi btl year ago and replaced it with two 10"s alpine type x's (room purpose). I really miss my 18..... but now I heard that these type x's are power hungry and their db sensitivity is at 82 db each.... which makes me understand why now.
im powering it with an orion 2500.1d, best amp ive owned yet. they handle the power really well. at high volume I think they are clipping because I can smell some burn...... they don't get really hot tho.... ( if you touch the center after a while of music) now im wondering if I need two orions for each of these subs... so the gains can be turned down and then receive less clipping. they would see 1700watts rms each at 2 ohm instead of 1ohm. but my main question here is about db sensitivity ... compared to the fi btl at 94 db and my 1 type x at 82 db... does that mean the type x needs more power to reach up to the btl db levels.(more then 1200rms).... I know they are sq subs but even the btl 10" online is 83db..... im confused with these measurements. and xmas.... more xmas does that mean more spl (more moving air for that same amount of power)

I built a sub box but it isn't tunned the way I want it to be.... can some one on here help me out with that too ? thanks.

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

also shouldn't my two x's be the same loudness as my btl... ive got the same amount of air movement as the btl....20" vs 18" if that's how it works ... maybe my box isn't tunned like I think it isn't

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

And in the wrong section please post in the correct one

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived