Second Skin Audio

number of ports vs lengh

guimond47

Alright got 2 4" round abs ports atm at 10" long in my 4.2cuft box. would putting 4- 4" round ports at 20" each be louder? more air to move... subs can breath better , correct me on this one please. thanks.

BTW this is 2 10" alpine type x

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

Switching from two to four is going to decrease airspace, raise port tuning, & increase port area. There's no for sure way to tell you which is "louder," what vehicle is it going in? Power?

its in a 1997 crew cab chevy. my whole center console is my sub box from front seats to back seat demensions 44Lx17Hx12.5W if i knew how to attach a picture i would.

I plugged in some subs that are similar, right now your looking at about a 35hz tune. 4.2 cubes is huge for 2 10's with that said your current port is good for about 150w of power before going over 17ms sec port wind speed, a common number used to keep port noise to a minimum. With 4 at approx. double the length actually about 25" since losing internal volume you'd be good up to about 600w while keeping the same hz tune . I would vote for the 4 to bring the internal volume down a bit and bring your port area to box size ratio up from the approx 6sq in per cu ft you are running now to a more normal 12sq in/cu ft.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Rambronco, i kinda get what your saying... Buy not clearly. My box mesures exacly 4cu.ft on the inside of it. What exacly do u mean my box is to big? ... I have about 6 " of port inside and the rest is external... It sounds nice but dosent seem to move "air" as much as i think it should on the lows... Thats why im thinking of adding two more ports. On the tores calculator tho says i gotta go long with them... Like 25" each. Thats no issue but that will reduce box cu.ft internally.. Im scared if i add to much port and the box shrinks in volume the subs wont perform well. Ill try and post pics . If not i can email you... I also have poly fill inside the box....

One sub is inverted(reverse polarity) and the other is normal.

Let me know what we can do here... Seems every box i see people use like 2-3 6" flaired abs ports. And that's equivalent to 4 -4" ports im inquireing about...

Help me out if u can thanks!

right now i have it set up like picture 2 . one inverted and the other is normal. they are type X tho. these are type R's back in the day lol....

i was gotta add 2 more 90* on top of the ones i got going on and have lengh of tube added to 4 of them, approx 25"...

I was jusr mentioning that 4+ cubes for 2 10's is huge, you will get an efficiency bump at the expense of power handling. The subs get less use of the box and the air inside as it gets bigger giving less control of the sub as it plays. If you dont throw a bunch of power at them you should be fine. The 2 extra ports only take up about .3 cu ft of space so dont worry about losing internal space. As mentioned go with the 4, just as a rule of thumb 12-15 sq in per cu ft is usually a good starting point, you are at about 6 right now. IfyIfyou want it to dig a little lower when you put the new ports in make them 30", I didnt plug it in but going from 25 to 30" will lower your tuning a little......probably 3-5hz just a guess.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Archived