Second Skin Audio

2014 focus sedan factory Box

dsw422

hey all,

so i just purchased a 2014 ford focus sedan with the 10 speaker system. the sub box in the back is kind of odd. it's not formed into one of the trunk corners, it just sits off to the side. and seems super small.. does anyone know the amp is built in to the box? and does anyone suggest (or done yourself) ideas for a new box tucked into the corner with the factory sub.. i'd like to get more room back there..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

I've worked on a couple newer Fords. That looks like the standard Ford 8" sub. The amp won't be built into the box. They use a DVC sub with each coil powered by a separate channel on the amp (at least that looks likes what's going on).

Can't give you any suggestions on the box, but if you want to get a signal from the factory amp to power an aftermarket amp you can wire a LOC into the outputs going to that factory sub.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks triticum.. how powerful do you think the amp is?? I might build a box and put in an nvx nsw 10 I got laying around..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

I think its like 50 watts to each coil, so 100 watts total. I could be wrong though. You could power a NVX sub will it, though you will have to do some research to see what impedance the factory amp likes to know if it will work with your sub. The best thing to do would probably be to measure that factory sub.

A 10" sub might gain you some output over the factory sub due to having more cone area and being in a more efficient box. Its not going to be a huge difference though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

If that's wat its power is then I'll probably put in a new sub amp.. that's way too little power for the 10 I have.. do I just hook my loc directly to the input wires for the factory sub??

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Yup, just wire your LOC into the wires headed to the sub. With some google skills you can probably find a pinout diagram so you know which wires are the + and which are the -.

Builds:

OP I would get an aftermarket HU, they are ridiculously inexpensive these days, like this one for $62 and WILL (even at that price) easily sound better than most if not any stock junk and will interface cleanly to an aftermarket bass amp, simple lines:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60596_Pioneer-DEH-150MP.html

Since you seem to be into NVX, here's a micro 300WRMS amp, near smartphone size:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71776_NVX-MVPA1.html

If you are willing to install something bigger you can get a cheaper device.

For a box you can do a simple slanted on the back box like below to save the most space:

slanted.jpg

This is one of the rare times that I disagree with JoeX. I would suggest you do not try to replace the factory head unit, unless you really want to take on a difficult project. In these newer Ford cars all the signal processing (left/right balance, front/rear fade, bass/treble, subwoofer crossover, etc) is all done in the factory amp that is most likely hiding somewhere in your trunk. If you replace the head unit you have to replace that amp too and its going to be a ton of work and expense. Not to mention there is usually a bunch of vehicle functions that are integrated into the factory HU that are going to be hard, if not impossible, to get to work with an aftermarket HU. I've used a LOC wired to the sub output on these ford systems and it worked great, so that is my suggestion.

I like JoeX's box design though :-)

Builds:

Yea, the HU isn't getting replaced. I've got the navigation touch screen HU..

As for the micro amp, that's exactly what I might b using.. i like how small it is.

and fir box, I was gonna fiberglass to mold to passenger side of trunk to keep it sunk back the furthest

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Archived