Second Skin Audio

Sub box design Questions

KenSchoen

Sorry for the long post.

So I know most people say when you get two subs you just double the amount of airspace in the box. Just looking to confirm this because I've seen people take 75% and double it and they say it works out fine. Second I've been shopping around and listening to different systems. A friend had two Power Acoustik Gothic 15's and it honestly sounded pretty good especially for the cost. Then I listened to someone's system with two P3 15's. What I'm wanting to know is why Rockford recommend's 2.66 cubic feet for a P3 and power acoustik recommends 3.25 cubic ft. Why would two subs that seem to be in similar ballparks have such vast enclosure requirement? And if someone got the Gothic's and put them in a smaller enclosure what would the outcome be? Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to reply. :)

I knew I'd catch hell for that. Lol but your opinion further's my questions validity. Why do the P3's "need" 2.66 and the PA's "need" 3.25? Especially if the PA's aren't as good :)

I mean for god's sake the SMD 15's say 3-5 cubic feet. And THAT I understand haha. I don't see why the PA would need more Than the P3 15, The NVX 15 and several other subs that I know MUST be better than the PA...

The answer to your question is how the driver itself was designed, many manufacturers are designing subs to work in smaller space. Just pick some drivers that work in your space and be done with it.

The answer to your question is how the driver itself was designed, many manufacturers are designing subs to work in smaller space. Just pick some drivers that work in your space and be done with it.

I normaly Would except I was just gifted some driver's that supposedly take alot of airspace and I want to know what's going to happen if they dont get it.

I mean for god's sake the SMD 15's say 3-5 cubic feet. And THAT I understand haha. I don't see why the PA would need more Than the P3 15, The NVX 15 and several other subs that I know MUST be better than the PA...

These manufacturers list the box specs for the smallest box possible that would work, but its by no means the optimal box. They do this just to milk money off of average joes with no concept of "space makes bass" Thats why you got a lot of guys running 15" subs in tiny (yes 2.66 is a JOKE) boxes in trunks that loses in both loudness and sound quality to guys that only have a single or dual 10 in proper sized and designed ported boxes.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
09 Sienna Subs : hdc318. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2 SOON to upgrade to addictive audio 500.1 the fix.
Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

I normaly Would except I was just gifted some driver's that supposedly take alot of airspace and I want to know what's going to happen if they dont get it.

The sub will be overdamped. The exact effects will depend on the sub but loss of efficiency is one side effect. Output will be affected.

You can trust what the manufacturer says. the better thing to do is pick a sub designed to work in the space you have, if you need to do a smaller box you can use round ports reverse mount the subs and other space saving techniques, you can cut net volume to some extent also but if you lose more than 2 dB is going to be noticeable. Use modeling software as a guide, different subs react differently to changing box specs, cabin effects also play an important role in final performance.

Archived