I am buing a SKS in about 2weeks. It is from one of my stepdads friends, so i know it is legit. I have looked at it, and everything is all good. It comes with everything, but the bayonet, and cleaning rods. I just want to check out the legal issues. I know the assault rifle ban was lifted in 04, but it is either the 20round, or 30round clip that is illegal. If anyone has one, or any info about it, LMK, or give me some links. Also, it is semi auto, is there any way to make it fully auto? If not, dont flame. I am a mature adult, not a 16y/o kid.

Oh, i do plan on getting a pistol grip stock. Something similar to this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-SKS-ULTRALIGHT-FOL...1QQcmdZViewItem

I am buing a SKS in about 2weeks. It is from one of my stepdads friends, so i know it is legit. I have looked at it, and everything is all good. It comes with everything, but the bayonet, and cleaning rods. I just want to check out the legal issues. I know the assault rifle ban was lifted in 04, but it is either the 20round, or 30round clip that is illegal. If anyone has one, or any info about it, LMK, or give me some links. Also, it is semi auto, is there any way to make it fully auto? If not, dont flame. I am a mature adult, not a 16y/o kid.

Oh, i do plan on getting a pistol grip stock. Something similar to this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-SKS-ULTRALIGHT-FOL...1QQcmdZViewItem

pmed

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

Hopefully it doesn't sound too horrible. lol

I have an SKS with that exact stock and its amazing! Here in Texas all capacities are legal, but not sure about anywhere else. I use it open sight for deer hunting and it shoots very accurate. I took 2 does last year with it.

you have a pic with that stock? i cant seem to find any with them on. jsut pics of the stock.

Hey brutha..don't worry, they are completely legal to own. What you need to be aware of are is the 3-5 rule.

If any weapon classified under the Assault Weapon ban has 3 of 5 items is when it could be considered a machine gun and is illegal. The items are

1) flash suppressor

2) pistol grip

3) folding stock

4) high cap mag

5) bayonet lug

Yes the AWB was listed, but this is a federal regulation as to how weapons can be considered machine guns.

As far as your question about being fully auto. An honest answer...don't think about it and don't try it. It is completely illegal no questions asked. I won't go into the regulations about Class II/III firearms unless you ask, or we can take it offline.

Me personally, I would choose to stay away from the 7.62 caliber....read the post asking if it is going to stop being made.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

ok, i wont worry about the fully auto then.

When i get it, of those 5 things, it has the option for a bayonet, it just doesnt have it on there. I do want to add a pistol grip, and folding stock. well really, i can do w/o the folding stock, jsut not many pistol grips dont have it.

As far as the mag, i think it comes with a 10round, but i was gonna get as close to the limit as possible w/o meeting it. I am calling right now to check on the flash suppressor.

Also, what is considered a high capacity magazine? 20? 30? 10?

Edited by bibby

Anything above 10 is considered high capacity per the goverment, but that was part of the AWB that was lifted.

Yeah I know..the laws are very grey, which means you have to use exteme judgement when doing anything.

Edited by str86diesel

10 really would be fine. I mainly want the larger capacity jsut for looks, so if its say a 10capacity mag, that looks like a 20, or 30, i'd be ok with that.

Where could i go locally that would give me an honest answer, to find out? The only real gun shops we have around here, are pawn shops. :(

I've never owned a weapon like this, jsut shot guns, and pistols.

Really...the best way to get information is to search the BATF's website. Don't trust any local dealers.

You can own and shoot mags about 30 rounds anytime you want..don't think one bit that you are limited to 10 rounds. But what the ATF considers a "Machine Gun" is a weapon that has 3-5 accessories all being mounted on a weapon that is classified as an "Assault Weapon."