After several months of not being able to drive my Suburban because of engine trouble and finally getting it back, I noticed I've been spoiled by driving lower set vehicle, so I've decided to lower my burb. I'm gonna lower the rear first since it already sits a little higher and it'll bring it closer to level. I found a decent looking set for the rear here but I have no clue how to remove the stock setup since it's riveted in. I dont have a torch or anything. Just a decent sized hammer. I could probably get a hold of an air chisel, but that's it.

PS :: My end plan is to lower it as much as possible without having to notch the frame much (the less the better), which is a total 5" in the back from my research.

PPS :: I havent actually bought anything yet, I'm still looking around at prices and shackle/hangars vs leafs. I wanna try to preserve as much ride quality as possible. I already plan on spindles up front with stock coils and shocks.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.

I used a DJM flip in the rear of my Tahoe and Belltech up front because 4wd.

First decide your goal for final ride height. No point in using shackles and hangers if you want to go low. Flip is the way to get there. Shackle/hanger will get you 3-4"max, flip will get you 6" to start.

But to answer your question, to remove hot pressed rivets you either have to grind them, drill them, or torch them. I highly recommend getting a 120v cutting wheel grinder. Had my notch cut in record time and would get through those rivet heads like butter. My air tools don't come anywhere near the speed of that thing. Grinders, cut off wheels, air hammer, flapper discs, drills, etc. used to take me 30-60 minutes per side. Now it's more like 10 when I do customer kits. Also get under there and look at access first, you may have to drop the gas tank to get the shackle bolts out. I know your tank is behind the axle where mine is in front, but check before you start to see how much work it will be.

Static drops are my bag.

Ideally, 5" in the back, but seems like I'll have to notch the frame, so I'll settle with with 4" for awhile. And I was gonna go for a solid 4" up front.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.

Archived