So I just recently got a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 2wd 2.4 liter and the check engine light is on. I took the truck to the auto parts store to get the code read and it came up with a code: P0125 "insufficient coolant temperature". I took that bit of information home and looked it up to see what it meant and how to fix it and it said to make sure my coolant isn't too low, which its not, it could be a stuck open or closed thermostat, or engine coolant temperature sensor. So my coolant isn't too low, and I don't believe my thermostat is stuck closed because it doesn't overheat, and I don't believe its stuck open because I get good heat and the temperature guage in the dash remains at its normal temperature. So yesterday I went ahead and replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor which was on the back of the engine above the transmission bell housing which was a SOB to get too, but I replaced that and unhooked the battery to reset the check engine light and after a couple minutes of driving the pick up, the light came back on.

Now I don't know what step to take next to try and fix the check engine light, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Side show, as far as a the problem goes I'm trying to avoid going to a dealer or the shop to see if I can try and fix it myself, kinda like a pride thing you know haha, but eventually I don't fix the problem I might end up taking it to the dealer.

And island, I googled what you said to and that looked like it could possibly be what it is, I think I'll try to remove the sensor and clean it this weekend and see what happens. I will buy a new one if the light comes back on. But I appreciate y'alls help and will let y'all know how things turn out

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I read up on the air/fuel sensor, and got under the truck and messed with it and tested it, and the harness, and reset my check engine light and that came back on after a small drive. So I took the truck to the new O'reillys in town and they hooked up the scanner to it and it through the p0125 code (check air fuel sensor), p1135 code something about the air/fuel sensor, and some other code also regarding the check air fuel sensor, so I ordered a new OEM denso sensor off of amazon for cheap and just got it today and hooked it up. I redid the battery and took it for a drive, no check engine light! I will be driving it to work tomorrow and hopefully it remains off. Anyways the O'reillys scanner was better than the other auto parts store and halfway told you what the code meant, so that definitely helped me a lot haha. Anyways thanks for everyones help

Archived