My ride got broken into, again...

That's not too bad not out of the question if I get the right price for alarm/installation. Would prefer to not have any recurring costs tho

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

The shitty fobs can be programmed to the nice alarms if your nice fob ever takes a crap.

Most alarms come with one of each kind of fob anyways.

I'm also against paying the yearly fee and it's really not that cheap, I got quoted $200 a year

You got quoted incorrectly then man. $200 would be the THREE year plan with full GPS tracking.

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/ServicePlans.aspx

Or if you got Compustar:

http://www.compustar.com/drone/#Subscriptions

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

I don't care if it was $20 a year because when I have to pay $200 just for the module on top of the alarm cost plus the extra install cost it should be free for at least a few years.

I know what I was quoted by the way.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Not sure how some of these guys are getting the 5706V, with several add-ons, under $500 installed out the door. The system itself is $200 online, plus another $60 online for the transponder bypass (DBALL or FLCAN). That's $260 right there without any labor. I'd charge you another $200 in labor without any special add-ons (trunk pop, rear defrost, trigger heated seats, etc). I do quality work and warranty the work for life. There's not a t-tap under my roof. Which is more than I can say for the hack jobs I see roll into my shop...

As was mentioned, Viper does warranty their products for life.... IF you bought and had it installed at an authorized dealer. Buying the system online and having an authorized dealer install it voids your warranty. Will the shop go to bat for you? I probably wouldn't. Not because "I'm not cool", but because that's the risks you take when you buy your products elsewhere. I sell the same stuff. But you wanted to save a few bucks and buy online instead of from me. That's the chance you take. I play by the book.

You might also give Compustar a look. A lot of really cool features that Viper doesn't have on any of their models. LOTS of paths for upgrade. LOTS of flexibility. You buy the brain, then pick out any remote you want to go with it. If you want to upgrade two years from now, no problem. Buy the new remote kit and you're good to go, without having a full reinstall (like with Viper). Go 1-way for now, and upgrade to 2-way later? No problem. Add on an alarm at a later date? No problem. etc etc etc.I find the keyfobs to be better quality too. The LCD keyfob in the 5706 is ok. But the other keyfob/keyfobs in the 5806 are GARBAGE.

I don't care if it was $20 a year because when I have to pay $200 just for the module on top of the alarm cost plus the extra install cost it should be free for at least a few years.

lol Don't get all butt hurt man. You CLEARLY said $200 a year. And I do $99 installed for the VSM200 SmartStart module. But understood that's a chunk lower than just about anywhere else.

Not sure how some of these guys are getting the 5706V, with several add-ons, under $500 installed out the door. The system itself is $200 online, plus another $60 online for the transponder bypass (DBALL or FLCAN). That's $260 right there without any labor. I'd charge you another $200 in labor without any special add-ons (truck pop, rear defrost, trigger heated seats, etc). I do quality work and warranty the work for life. There's not a t-tap under my roof. Which is more than I can say for the hack jobs I see roll into my shop...

As was mentioned, Viper does warranty their products for life.... IF you bought and had it installed at an authorized dealer. Buying the system online and having an authorized dealer install it voids your warranty. Will the shop go to bat for you? I probably wouldn't. Not because "I'm not cool", but because that's the risks you take when you buy your products elsewhere. I sell the same stuff. But you wanted to save a few bucks and buy online instead of from me. That's the chance you take. I play by the book.

You might also give Compustar a look. A lot of really cool features that Viper doesn't have on any of their models. LOTS of paths for upgrade. LOTS of flexibility. You buy the brain, then pick out any remote you want to go with it. If you want to upgrade two years from now, no problem. Buy the new remote kit and you're good to go, without having a full reinstall (like with Viper). Go 1-way for now, and upgrade to 2-way later? No problem. Add on an alarm at a later date? No problem. etc etc etc.I find the keyfobs to be better quality too. The LCD keyfob in the 5706 is ok. But the other keyfob/keyfobs in the 5806 are GARBAGE.

Now THIS is more of what I was looking for in terms of info. So please bare with me here as I have a few questions on all of this:

1. Will I need a transponder bypass/ what the hell is this part for?

2. With viper for instance, if I want to install one of their upper level alarms now without any add ins, will I need to have the entire thing uninstalled and later reinstalled if I want to do something as simple as add some glass break detectors, or a secondary batt/alarm horn?

3. I have never heard of compustar before, are they around the same general price points as others I have seen before such as viper, Python, etc.? Reliable?

4. U mentioned with compustar you can start small and add in later. Do those add ins need to be installed by a authorized dealer for you to retain your warranty? And regardless of the answer to that is it simple to install the add ins yourself?

Thanks you for all the info yall. Just trying to do this once and right the first time. As of right now tho compustar definitely looks like a better deal in my mind just for the fact I can start small now and add more as I see fit. Seems like a pretty legit business model if you ask me.

lol Don't get all butt hurt man. You CLEARLY said $200 a year. And I do $99 installed for the VSM200 SmartStart module. But understood that's a chunk lower than just about anywhere else.

Well isn't that special.

you must know the price at every shop everywhere huh?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Well isn't that convenient... That shop is an ass if they told you that price and meant it. It could've been a mess up on their part...

Considering you send the money to the company direct not to the shop... All done through credit card. Go look on their site.

I'm a fan of my Clifford 2 way. Model number I forget.

And just a heads up, most of the products and brands are all owned by the same company nowadays.

I have recently heard of Clifford. How is their track record as a company? Is their system like compustar where it's a brain with a ton of add ons or more like viper where it's a complete system?

Archived