Second Skin Audio

SQ hds312 box design help

Zackazp23

I have an 06 mazda3 hatchback. I use the cargo cover bcuz I don't have any tint yet. so, I'm not able to go too tall.

My main problem is figuring out how to do the port.

I did a bunch of measuring and such the other night but got stuck at the port.

Also I'm not sure how I want the box tuned. I want to be able to hit the lows really well.

The space I have to use is: 41"wide 21"deep 17"tall

I did my measurements and came to 38"w 18"d 16"t and got ~5'³ is that right? (Using ¾" MDF)

The subs are rather large on the back so I figure they would take up some space making the box seem smaller to them, or am I wrong?

I was wanting to do the subs rear fire side by side with the port off to the right side. (With the hatch open and looking at the subs my amp & wires are on the left. So I would have the subs connecting on the left side)

Any help would be greatly appritiated.!

Thanks, Zack.

So here is what It seems you want, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

hds312.jpg

2x%20pio%20pic_zpswzubm20k.jpg

Box can be placed to have the port firing either side.

You gave 21" depth, if you still stand by that you should have the 3 3/4" minimum clearance so it should be passable but nowhere near to my likings, subs being so near the hatch would probably be better off firing up.

OK yeah sorry my bad. The 21depth is accurate.

I have the cargo cover covering the subs so would up fire be OK? I'm not tottaly against doing it that way.

I need the cargo cover...

There has been a lot of people who have been broken into. With out my cover its basically a small Walmart for anyone walking by that's a $#itty enough person to break in.

Can the box be a little smaller with still being rear fire and a little bit higher hrz? The above box is 35 right? What will a 38 or 40 look like?

Sorry for being a pain.

So one of the best guys to have walked this earth, my dad, bought me the MDF board!

He cut it for me also, based off the above guide.

I'm now back at my house and my buddy and I r putting it together and the front piece is just a tad too long.

The only way it will fit is if a sink the port in still having the 3.3/4 width but the width in the back where it "L" wouldn't be 3.3/4 any more. So should I just cut the little bit extra off the front piece?

You can mount the front panel (the baffle) so that the excess length is on the left side (as shown on the pic) keeping the port width 3 3/4" and then with a sanding tool take that away later.

Archived