Second Skin Audio

Aftermarket subs with a Bose system...sound?

Naw, it's pointless with the bose amp. If you want to keep that amp your best bet is to find out what the crossover points are on each channel and get speakers that do well at those frequencies. One thing I'll tell you is that when I had a LOC my amps and subs got hot real fast.

Ok well it sounds like I'm gonna need another (3rd) battery , amp, 4 x overs and 4 speakers and 4 tweeters

On 4/20/2010 at 10:06 PM, 'cc_audio' said:

Guys are just like girls, once you've had 18 inches you don't go back.

2004 GMC Yukon XL

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS

13 band EQ

Sub Amp- (2) PPI 5000BD.1

(2) Re SXX 15's 8 cu. ft. box tuned to 32 Hz

(4) 6.5 Bose Mids

(2) 1" Bose Tweets

(2) 1.5" Bose Tweets

(1) JY 80 AH w/ new JY busses

(1) Duracell 750 up front 

Apex Alternators 270

A.C. Delco 160 alternato

Am I missing something here? why not just plug RCAs into the new HU and get signal from there? Thats the way im running mine in the suburban, the Bose system will not be touched until I add a 4 channel amp later.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Even with an aftermarket HU, the bose amp still controls what's played out the speakers. That's why you gotta buy that 100 dollar wiring harness. Or get a 4 channel amp

Seriously? So even if I route a set of RCAs direct from the sub output behind my Kenwood DVX HU, to a sub amp (BC2000ds in my case) there will be no signal because the bose system controls it? WTF! If someone could explain why that would be awesome, because to me it seems that the signal originates from the HU, which is then sent to the bose amp, so anything upstream of the bose amp has no way to be controlled by the bose system. I was told over and over again that it would still send out a signal. Hell I was even told that if I wanted to keep the stock bose system i could just run a set of RCAs from HU to a 4 channel amp to whatever the hell I wanted from there as long as it didnt interfere with the stock amp.

My plan is to eventually completely rid of the Bose system, replace the stock amp with a beefy 4 channel with signal coming direct from the HU, and run everything else off of that.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Even with an aftermarket HU, the bose amp still controls what's played out the speakers. That's why you gotta buy that 100 dollar wiring harness. Or get a 4 channel amp

Seriously? So even if I route a set of RCAs direct from the sub output behind my Kenwood DVX HU, to a sub amp (BC2000ds in my case) there will be no signal because the bose system controls it? WTF! If someone could explain why that would be awesome, because to me it seems that the signal originates from the HU, which is then sent to the bose amp, so anything upstream of the bose amp has no way to be controlled by the bose system. I was told over and over again that it would still send out a signal. Hell I was even told that if I wanted to keep the stock bose system i could just run a set of RCAs from HU to a 4 channel amp to whatever the hell I wanted from there as long as it didnt interfere with the stock amp.

If you run a set of rca's to another amp you are bypassing the bose amp. If you use the wiring harness and no amps, just HU and bose amp you won't be able to change the crossover. You could turn the bass up and it will be noticed on the speakers that play the low HZ. You could turn the treble up and it will be noticed on the speakers that play higher HZ. You don't need the bose amp at all. The only function I remember losing when I bypassed it was the door chimes. I can still hear my turn signals. I hope I cleared this up as much as possible. Just to go over this, if you run rca"s to another amp that signal will not be affected by the bose amp.

If you run a set of rca's to another amp you are bypassing the bose amp. If you use the wiring harness and no amps, just HU and bose amp you won't be able to change the crossover. You could turn the bass up and it will be noticed on the speakers that play the low HZ. You could turn the treble up and it will be noticed on the speakers that play higher HZ. You don't need the bose amp at all. The only function I remember losing when I bypassed it was the door chimes. I can still hear my turn signals. I hope I cleared this up as much as possible. Just to go over this, if you run rca"s to another amp that signal will not be affected by the bose amp.

Oooookay, hahaha you had me so worried for a moment... I was like "I put like 200hrs of research into building a system before even planning and nobody mentioned this major flaw in my plan." but yeah thats what I thought, bypass the bose amp one stage at a time, and when I finally eliminate the final mids/highs from being controlled by the bose amp it will be completely unhooked. Thanks for the clarification!

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW