Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sealed, Ported, or both?


Jomama1212

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am perplexed and unsure of which direction I should go. To start out I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab with the JBL factory sound system (and I must say I am not very impressed. I just acquired 2 Infinity Ref860W subs and trying to decide on what style enclosure(s) to build to replace the so called sub. I have a very diverse listening arena and am looking for something to fill in the low end. My question is this. Would it behoove me to build a ported box for one sub to capture the really low bass and a sealed box for the other to get the harder hit or am I looking at frequency issues by doing that? I will be powering them individually with an old school Orion Xtreme 5002 amp (250 watts x 2). Do to the mounting depth (5 3\16 deep) of these subs I have not quite figured out how I am going to shoehorn them behind the back seats yet. I have removed everything except for the child seat anchors to allow for the installation. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Posted

+1 to what JoeX said. As long as you have enough space there are very few disadvantages to ported boxes, and a lot to gain.

What you really don't want to do is mix box types though. Pick one or the other.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Haha Triticum. Pardon the pun. Thank you for the response guys. That was the info that I was after. I don't think that I Will have the room for both in in a 1.2 c.f. box in the back so I will have to run just one. Sorry if that was a total noob question. It has been a very long time since I have been in the car audio world. I do appreciate your time. Good day!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 492 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...