Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Need some advice on designing a new enclosure.


cdwbanks

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm wanting to build a new ported box for my 2 12" American bass xfl's. My current box I built 2 years ago is 5.26 ft^2 tuned to 38 hz. It sounds great and does its job but it just sounds muddy and loose and lacks a good punch. I'm wanting to build a new ported box that's closer to the smaller end of the suggested enclosure volume and tune lower to around 32 hz. Now my question is what do you guys suggest I use as far as box volume and port area to tighten up the sound and kill the lows? I can build some fancy boxes but I've never been the greatest on calculating the perfect box. I usually just use suggested volumes and generic online calculators to build my boxes but I want to build a great sounding one this time. This will be my daily box and I also want to build a pure spl box as well for some comps this summer so suggestions on a pure spl box would be awesome to. It will be going in a 2 door Pontiac G5. Last year I did a 141.1 @ 38hz on my current setup with stock electrical and a crappy amp. I now have big three done, exide agm battery in trunk and a new amp which is a brx2400. I don't want to get to much into spl competitions but just want to have a louder daily system.

Posted

Quick question, but what have you done to try and get better "punch" from the box so far? It looks like a well-built enclosure, and tuned at 38 hz, it should easily be able to hit those punchy upper notes. What crossover setting do you have it on the head unit? On the amplifier? I had the same issue with my ported enclosure, and found that once I raised/bypassed the low-pass filter on the amp, and left the head unit crossover frequency at 80, that the "punch" kicked in, and with authority! Also, is your trunk sound deadened? If not, then that would definitely help with "muddy" sound. If you haven't, I would try those things first before tossing what looks like a good box and save yourself a lot of work.

5b040b40-2648-4fcb-a73d-d280e83c399e_zps

1997 Ford Explorer
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH4400BH Double Din
Avic-U260 Navigation Unit

Doors:
2x Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8- Front
2x Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8- Rear
4x McLaren MLT-2 tweeters

Amps:

Audiopipe APDL20001D- Bass

Audiopipe APCL-6002 Mids

Audiopipe APCL 1004- Highs


Sub Stage:
2x JBL P1222 dual 2 ohm coils

Electrical:
Mechman 270 Ho alt
XS Power D3400-Up Front

2x XS Power D1200- Rear

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192815-finally-built-my-4th-order/

Posted

I have messed around a little with the crossovers but never completely disabled it on the amp. I have the head unit crossover set on 85hz for the sub. I will give that a shot and see what happens. And your absolutely right about the deadening I sure can use alot of it. When I have it playing full tilt I can literally feel air escaping the trunk around the bottom of the lid seal. I gained almost 3 db by having 3 friends push in and down on the trunk lid at the last couple spl events I went to. ive never messed with deadening and not sure how many layers I should use to stop my trunk lid flex. do you think just doing the lid and back part of the trunk with a few layers of deadening will help or should I just do the whole trunk. Ive also thought about building a loading wall between the box and the trunk lid

Posted

Thinking I might go ahead and order some second skin damplifier deadening. How much do you think I will need to do the lid and just the back part of my trunk to about the Outer edge of the taillights? Also do you think 1 layer will be plenty or should I double it?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8850 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...