Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

need help with box. 4 15 kicker solo classic and kx2400.1


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have been a quite observer on this site for a while but finally decided to join because I need some help. I got a 99 Tahoe and I'm just now getting my system wired up. Right now I got audio control epic 160, clarion eqs760 equalizer, 4 15" kicker solo classics, kx2400.1, 2 pairs infinity kappa 6x9, 2 pair inifity kappa 6.5 component sets, and kicker kx400.4. I built a box for the 4 15" that is down firing. I've heard boxes down firing before and this just dont sound right. Kind of like there is not enough room for the air to escape. There is 4" from floor to face of woofers. I flipped the box over so it's laying flat and it sounds so much better but I still feel like I am missing out and its not quite hitting like it should. Dont get me wrong, its loud as hell and hits hard but I just feel like the box is holding me back. I got just s few questions. I really wanted it down firing but want to maximize what i got. Would I benefit if I extended the height of the box a couple inches or should I just ditch the down firing idea and rethink the whole set up. What would be the best box for what I have? These SUbs require very small sealed box. 1.25 net per sub. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Posted

Why do you want the subs down firing?

I have seen some older systems that had subs firing up with a 3-4" plexi glass on top of the subs. Having one open end facing the back of the SUV.

What was the purpose? Don't know, but it's sort of the same as you firing them down idea.

-Frank

Posted

So, this is what you want.

http://kazmers.tripod.com/box.html

-Frank

That looks nice and is the general idea of what I have, minus the plexiglass. Mine is just MDF.

My issue is I feel like I'm loosing sound or that it can't breathe enough.

I'm open to getting a new box if thats what is best if I need to. At this point I'm just looking for recommendations of how to make the most of what I got and if I need to redisgn the box so be it.

Posted

While Kicker may say you only need 1.25 cu ft of internal volume each with a sealed box, you will get better performance if you give them more, much more. If you can double the internal volume that would be a worthwhile improvement, IMHO. You can also add 1 lb/cu ft of polyfill to help flatten out their response.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I do have polyfill in the box.

However these are specifically made for small sealed boxes. It is also very specific on the 1.25 per sub. Any larger could damage the sub. These are not L7s, these are the solo classic which is a redesign of the original solo baric.

Posted

But my issue is the box design. If I flip it on its back where the subs are firing straight up it sounds much better and a lot louder. My only previous experience with down firing was with 2 10s and they sounded better down firing vs any other way. I am looking for advice as to whether I should create more room from the face of the subs to the floor or scratch the whole idea and design a different box

Posted

...However these are specifically made for small sealed boxes. It is also very specific on the 1.25 per sub. Any larger could damage the sub. These are not L7s, these are the solo classic which is a redesign of the original solo baric...

Yeah, I know that's what they say, this is also the same company that claimed anything below 40 Hz was wasted information.

Prop your current box up on some temporary riser blocks and see if that makes a difference. That will tell you if more space between the cones and the floor will help w/o having to build another box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1311 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...