csawatzky Posted May 17, 2015 Report Posted May 17, 2015 If I'm making a box let's say 20" in length and my port needs to be 30" long at 3" wide and I'm putting it in the middle of the box to help strengthen it when I make the port turns do I slit the 3" wide into two 1.5"? Also how do I measure the port length when it splits if I'm suppose to cut the width in half? How far from the back wall if I do a 180degree turn? Any and all help appreciated. (Just ordered 2 sundown x12s want them sounding their best!)
Joe X Posted May 17, 2015 Report Posted May 17, 2015 The T shaped port split width in half as it turns as you said, the physical length of the port is measured along the center line, same if the turn were 180 deg, for a t shaped port, L1 + L2 = length you entered in Torres or similar software.
csawatzky Posted May 17, 2015 Author Report Posted May 17, 2015 Thanks.. One more quick question about port area. When I design I'm shooting for about 12" port area per foot. Does it matter if the port area square inches is a little high...what should each be
Triticum Agricolam Posted May 17, 2015 Report Posted May 17, 2015 The "port area per cube" rule isn't a good way to figure out port area. Some subs need much more than that and some need less. For X12's Sundown recommends 40 sq in of port area each and I wouldn't recommend going under that. As fas as having more port area than you need, there really is no disadvantage to having more than you need other than it takes up more space. From a performance perspective having more port area won't hurt you one bit. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
csawatzky Posted May 18, 2015 Author Report Posted May 18, 2015 OK I think I got it but would like someone to check this out..box 20x40x24 port 4.5x18 and 38 long will this work I put .4 for subs displacement
Joe X Posted May 18, 2015 Report Posted May 18, 2015 Assuming 1" wood thickness and a T shaped port, the specs would lead to ~3 net per driver @28Hz tuning 81 square inches of total port area.
csawatzky Posted May 18, 2015 Author Report Posted May 18, 2015 Yes 1" wood my question I guess would be will these box specs work well with 2 x12s... Only my second time making a box... First time using a slot port and wood isn't cheap lol want to get it right the first time around, total space is 40 wide 25 Long height not really an issue if anyone has has a better design for me... 4dr wrangler
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.