SPL sub

SMS

I have a choice of two motors to build into my single 15 burp sub. One being my M2 XL and the other is a Acendent mayhem

version 1 I believe, it was from 2011 or so. It will be seeing around 5k clamped. I'm going to build the sub myself, just wondering the best place to start.

possibly. but really unless you build up both woofers and test both woofers you will never know, and no one can really tell you.
not to mention the parts being used is going tto play a huge role in the woofers!

maybe go with which ever woofer has the thicker top plate. lol

or whichever has the tighter gap....

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Tighter gap doesnt always mean stronger motor force, one of the reasons Fi/AA dont do vented poles is due to the loss in BL from a vented pole iirc which leads to less saturation due to less steel.

Also I am pretty sure both gaps are damn near the same size, because when I was looking into other possibilities for recones on my btls, Will said that they use XL parts for them.

If you had a gauss meter you could measure both motors around the top plate to see which would be stronger

i just meant since i remember you used to be able to get the SPL option on old school Fi subs and the difference was just the gap was a little tighter, it made it less musical because non-linearity would make the coil rub a lot quicker, but for burps it was able to withstand more power IIRC. so if you were going to build from the ground up and choose a specific coil, you may be able to find one from a different sub that fits the gap really tight or something like that... Just a thought in my mind idk how true necessarily it is.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Archived