Decibel ratings for music

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

That is far from what I'm saying, but thanks for your very valuable input. I should have put a disclaimer that I want experienced replies only.

The whole point of buying a DD1 is to find the max volume of the headunit without distortion as well as the amps. If I use two different decibel ratings of music then that number is useless. If I tune my amp using a 103dB tone and then play 89dB music 24/7 I'm going to have a truck that's basically at half volume. That's the same concept as tuning it with the SMD CD at a 0dB tone, then going to a competition and burping with a -14dB tone. Why would someone do that?

That's why using a tool to set gains isn't the best way...

and what would you propose is the best way to set gains?

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

That is far from what I'm saying, but thanks for your very valuable input. I should have put a disclaimer that I want experienced replies only.

The whole point of buying a DD1 is to find the max volume of the headunit without distortion as well as the amps. If I use two different decibel ratings of music then that number is useless. If I tune my amp using a 103dB tone and then play 89dB music 24/7 I'm going to have a truck that's basically at half volume. That's the same concept as tuning it with the SMD CD at a 0dB tone, then going to a competition and burping with a -14dB tone. Why would someone do that?

That's why using a tool to set gains isn't the best way...

and what would you propose is the best way to set gains?

if your playing everything from a tone to -14db... well fuck.. you have to use your god damn head, nose, ears.......

know your gear........... period.

but, getting set up, with the dd1, from HU to amps, to me........ gets me 90percent there.... but, when i play Djsnt, its not as clean as when i play a cd of nirvana...

fuck, its not rocket science...

use a cheap ass scope...

like i have.. if you want...... mine is meh....

(it still cant tell you a square if your playing everything from cd's, to mp3's to youtube, decaf, to others...Then toss in tones?......, i mean hell, do you want your truck to drive you around by itself?)

IMG_0375.jpg

I understand what you're saying but I still don't think you truly understand what I'm asking. Do you know what MP3Gain is and how it works, or any other gain matching program for MP3 files? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious what other people do or use. If you play a CD you bought at best buy vs a track you downloaded online, can you play both at the exact same level of volume on your headunit without touching any gains or bass knobs, or will once be louder (and possibly distort) from the differing volume levels?

Also, if I go download 10 different 40hz 0dB test tones from different artists on the internet, will they all be identical in loudness? Will every 40hz 0dB tone at volume level 25 with the amp gains locked in place for this experiment all put out the same exact voltage from the speaker leads?

I think you're trying to over think things. I don't know of anyone on here that uses a gain matching program. Is it that important that you listen to all songs at the same volume?

I listen to rock/metal at like 28-30 and rap/decaf at like 35. If I was that worried about it, then I'd just have one custom eq for rock/metal and a different one for rap/decaf so that I could listen to them at the same volume.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

I think you're trying to over think things. I don't know of anyone on here that uses a gain matching program. Is it that important that you listen to all songs at the same volume?

I listen to rock/metal at like 28-30 and rap/decaf at like 35. If I was that worried about it, then I'd just have one custom eq for rock/metal and a different one for rap/decaf so that I could listen to them at the same volume.

Those are different genres of music and I understand the need to lower the volume on decaf or Bass Mekanik music, but what about from song to song.

I guess I don't, but then whats the point in find number "XX" of your headunit max volume if you don't use it. If you know the headunit can play to volume 48 out of 50 without distorting using the DD1 method, but then play different levels of music from different artists that make you distort at volume 40 of 50, then what's the point? You guys have never been listening to headphones and had the next song that come on be incredibly loud compared to the last? You guys honestly drive around and constantly adjust the bass and volume knobs for each and every song? That sounds terrible.

Archived